Fly Tying
borissaurus rex

Fly photography

I'm new to the forum and have been tying since January of this year. Now that I have a few flies under my belt I'd like to share what I' ve tied. The problem is that i am no good at taking pictures with the digital camera and to break out the ols SLR and have the film developed is too much time wasted that I could be tying more flies or fishing em. Hoping to get some suggestions on what kind of settings to use to get clear shots of the flies.http://www.flytyingforum.com/style_emoticons/default/wallbash.gif

Find your "macro" setting, it is what enables the camera to focus on close objects. Use good light, including your flash, and experiment with it. Use a tripod and self-timer if you can. If not, learn to hold the camera correctly.

There is no "a+b+c=good photograph" formula. You have to spend a little time messing with your controls. Every camera is different in the way it applies the light to the sensor (film, CCD, whatever) and produces an image.

There is no "a+b+c=good photograph" formula. You have to spend a little time messing with your controls. Every camera is different in the way it applies the light to the sensor (film, CCD, whatever) and produces an image.

What he said, try to find the web site of the camera maker, they often have a forum or a FAQ that will help you with the use of your camera to take better macro photography. Flies are easy, they don't move, not the same with insect. ;)

read the manual

find the setting that looks like a tulip. thats the macro

turn off the flash. use 1 ligh above the fly and 1 light below the fly

use a tripod. gets rid of the shakes

use a background color that is pleasing to the eye. your filthy material strewn tying desk is not pleasing to the eye

position the camera at the distance your manual advises for a macro shot

depress the shutter only 1/2 of the way down to allow thw camera to focus on the subject. onec focused, depress the shutter the rest of the way to take the foto

read the manual

check your white balance settings and change it accordingly to suit the light source

switch the camera to manual focus if it doesnt have a macro setting. focus manually on the subject

All good advise. My only tips- use the manual focus and the timer.

In fact, when I take pictures of my flies I use manual everything: manual focus, manual aperture (f 8.0), manual shutter speed (I usually take 4 so I can pick the best: 1/60, 1/80, 1/100, 1/120.) I make sure the flash is off and I use 2 floods up close- one above and to the right, one below and to the left (and try to get a little reflected light behind the fly.) Of course I use a tripod and place my background sheet well back from the fly.

Here's a #20 emerger I just shot. It's not a perfect photo, but it will do:

POP Emerger