Fly Tying
Firetiger

CZ Nymph - 10 easy steps :)

Step 1: Hook Selection

Select a scud hook of appropriate size. By appropriate I mean rather large - this one is size 8 and it is my favorite size for trout fishing. You will want your

nymph to be both slim and heavy at the same time; that simply does not work in sizes 14 and upwards.

czsbs1.jpg

Step 2: Weight

Add a layer of lead. Flat lead works the best; it packs more tightly than round lead and high density is crucial. In this example I went for one layer of lead, but you can add two for extra weight. In such case make the second layer one turn shorter on each side to preserve the tapered look.

Make sure the lead does not extend past the hook bend - you want to leave a plenty of space to tie in the ribbing and back cover. Otherwise your nymph will have a fat ass, which is a major NO, NO! (any ladies reading this post? B) )

czsbs2.jpg

Step 3: Thread

Tie in your thread and tightly lash the weight to the hook. I have selected UNI 6/0 thread in color tan. The 6/0 thread is stronger than 8/0 I use for most of my other tying and can stand some abuse - it will receive a lot! I want my lead packed ever more tightly, high density is very important for a CZ nymph. I selected color tan so that it will not darken the dubbing as black thread would.

czsbs3.jpg

Step 4: Rib and Back Cover

Now make use of the empty space you left in the hook bend and tie in first the ribbing - I am using 0.16 mm monofilament spinning line here - and then back cover. For back cover I am using 4 mm wide strip in honey color, so it will be just a shade darker than my dubbing.

Lash both to the hook bend very tightly, keeping in mind that the fat ass you are trying very hard to avoid.

czsbs4.jpg

Step 5: Abdomen

Dub the abdomen - about one half of the nymph body, perhaps slightly more. I am using hare dubbing color light olive here, rabbit will work also fine. If using natural dubbing (which I strongly suggest) be aware that it will darken once wet and select the color accordingly. Again, keep in mind the fat ass you are trying very hard to avoid!

czsbs5.jpg

Step 6: Hot Spot

Dub the hot spot (optional). Use bright red, orange or hot pink colors. Here I am using Seal fur colored hot orange.

The hot spot is optional - when fishing it can make your day or scare the fish witless for no apparent reason.

czsbs6.jpg

Step 7: Thorax/Legs

Dub the front part of the fly. Use scruffy dubbing with longish hairs, so it will add movement to your fly. I am using black hare mixed with black seal. Leave just enough space for the head.

czsbs7.jpg

Step 8: Fold Over the Back Cover

This is the tricky part. Fold over the back cover, stretching it slightly forward so that it covers the body snugly. Tie in with your tying thread and secure tightly. Whip finish - and only then cut the redundant part off. Few things are more frustrating than having the fly come apart at this stage due to sloppy tying of the back cover. Trust me. I had it happen many times, and you would not wish to hear what I had to say about it.

czsbs8.jpg

Step 9: Wrap the ribbing

Now that the tricky part is done you wrap your ribbing. Make sure you wrap in the direction of your tying thread, mono is slippery and you want your fly to look neat.

czsbs9.jpg

Step 10: Finishing touches

You are almost done. The only finishing touches left are brushing your fly vigorously with a velcro strip and coloring your head and front half of the back cover with black marker. Take a step back and enjoy!

czsbs10.jpg

I like it. I've not tied any nymphs I've liked... now I know that I was using too small of a hook and the body was bulky. I was also using round lead. Thanks for the lesson!

Thanks guys for your kind comments! I was meaning to write this SBS for some time, but procrastination is my second nature :(

I'm glad I pulled myself together.

Jan, thanks for reminding me you had some of my nymphs from the past, I was meaning to send a couple with the Carp swap. I will tie something else instead B)

Dart, there are very few absolute truths in CZ nymphing; as Morfeus says in The Matrix "some rules can be bent, others can be broken". You can work with round lead if that is what you got (hint: try running an empty beer bottle over the wire). You can make smallish CZ nymphs if needed - for my grayling fishing I go down to #16 and I heard of guys tying them on #18s; but in such case you should drop the lead (and sink the fly with a split shot or a sacrificial fly). About the only rule that should never be broken is the slim silhouette.

Cheers!

Jindra

This is just what I needed! (Que the Cars now) Thanks so much for this SBS. You and Luciv have gotten SBS and photography down pat when it comes to these little nymphs.

That's a very nice fly! I could tie it if i had the nymph skin

Order some from our sponser, J. Stockard. It's a dollar and a few cents.

That's a very nice fly! I could tie it if i had the nymph skin

Flytyer, the nymph skin is nice, but absolutely not essential. In the era before internet and open borders people over here used anything they could get hold of - including very strange items such as dried mackerel skin, cover from sausages, even latex condoms - for the back cover.

My recommendation would be to cut a strip from a heavy duty clear plastic bag just to assert your independence on the fly materials industry :) Think about the ancients, who had to make do with feathers and fur from their own backyard and local hunting, with a little help from their wife's embroidery basket.