Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flytyer14

Rotary vise (price may jump)

Flytyer14, even at the cheap price, I would not go a regal, the spring jaw grip is just not to my liking. Cheers, Futzer.

This is an early model Regal vise, and is not a rotary vise. These vises worked ok for larger hooks (16 and up.) They had a problem with smaller hooks. If you were not very careful in placing the smaller hooks in the vise, the constant pressure jaws would pop the hooks out. There was a rotary attachment you could get for these early models, but I never liked it much. Sold mine years ago.

utyer makes a very valid point about Regal vises if you tie smaller than about #18. I use a Regal for everything from #18 to 2/0, but resort to my Thompson A for anything smaller than #18 because of this problem. In addition to the hook popping out, the jaws have a tendency to chip out over time if too many hooks "pop out". The jaws on mine are chipped because of this. I have a friend who ties very few flies larger than #18. He has had the jaws to his Regal replaced three times due to the chipping problem. Please note that these comments are based on the "regular" Regal jaws. I have no experience with their "midge-jaws" that are now available. I have the Regal "rotary" vise, and it adequately meets my needs for fly inspection, as I tie mostly LM bass and sunfish flies.

I also have Renzetti vises (2---one was a gift) and the Thompson, and never use the Renzetties. Too much trouble opening and closing jaws with a tiny little knob (have no experience with their new cam-lever jaws) and resetting jaws for various hook sizes. The simplicity of the lever-action jaw operation of the Regal is a plus in my books---"One size fits all".

perchjerker

FWIW: a PS to my earlier post re: the rotary device once available for Regal vises. Shortly after this item came on the market, Regal widely publicized the fact that they would NOT honor their Life-Time warranty for any of their vises that had been used in conjunction with this device; forcing the maker out of business within about 2 years.

perchjerker