Fly Tying
Wounded Minnow

Sage 4560 Reel Experiences???

Just curious if anyone has any experience with the Sage 4500 series of reels? I just picked up another 9' 7 weight and would like to get a reel for it. I am strongly considering the 4560, but have never really heard anything about them. Kind of torn between trying one or just picking up another Galvan Torque.

Thank you for your time!

Never owned the 4500 series myself but a buddy (Mike Barrand over on TFF) had one and ended up selling it because he had issues with the drag on it. I do own a Galvan Torque (T8) and absolutely LOVE that reel :headbang:

Steve

Good to hear you like that reel Steve, the shop I ordered the reel from called me today and informed me the Sage reel was backordered, wanted to know if I still wanted it. Just decided to order a Galvan Torque that they had in stock instead. As the old saying goes, if it aint broke, don't fix it...

Kory

You'll love that reel Kory. I have a ton of reels everything from Harris Solitude to Ross to SLV's and Battenkill...yet the very first time I used the Galvan Torque it instantly became my favorite reel. Silky smooth, light, big easy to use drag knob during a fight and just plain cool looking. I know you dropped some serious coin on the Galvan because they aren't cheap but when that reel is still smooth and strong 15 yrs from now you'll be glad you did :headbang: You gotta great reel coming.

Steve

Never owned the 4500 series myself but a buddy (Mike Barrand over on TFF) had one and ended up selling it because he had issues with the drag on it. I do own a Galvan Torque (T8) and absolutely LOVE that reel :headbang:

Steve

Mike sells everything he owns doesn't matter if it's Sage, Hardy or his Clan spey rod. I bought my spey set up off of him and loving every minute of it.

Steve

Couldn't agree more in regards to the Galvan reels Steve. Been using them for a few years, just never had a single issue with one. Love the fact it's a Family operated business who takes a great deal of care to make sure their name is represented through a quality product.

I spoke with Mike, apparently he had a bunk o-ring that allowed water to get into the drag system and rusted out the clutch bearing on a 2540. Sage took care of him quickly and had the issue fixed. I have actually heard of this issue on a LOT of different "sealed" drag systems from a few different companies, this is the first time with Sage though.

Anyway, I know Sage is a good company and I probably wouldn't of had any issues with the 4560 "if I did they would have taken care of me", but like you said, these reels are not very cheap and it's always nice to go with a product you have had good experiences with in the past when spending that kind of money.

All good things,

Kory