Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyboy

Hello from North Carolina

I'd just like to say hello to everyone from North Carolina. Looks like a nice site with lots of knowledge. I'm very interested in fly tying, and I fly fish for about anything that swims. In addition I love camping, bird watching, wild flowers, sports, and photography. I also enjoy a good cigar & drink with friends around a campfire after a days fishing. I've just recently became interested in digital macro photography of flies. I'm always trying to learn new fly tying techniques and become better at the ones I do halfway know.

I would enjoy meeting and fishing with any of you that are ever down this way. Looking forward to becoming an active member, thanks for the welcome from the admin already.

Steve Yates

Hillbilly Hollow NC

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. I have a home up in Cashiers and get up there 3 or 4 times a year. I fish the Davidson River when I'm there but Irish is trying to convert me to a Smallmouth fisherman. Where is Hillbilly Hollow?

TB

Thanks for the welcome OSD & TroutBum. Hillbilly Hollow is in Haywood Co., near Waynesville. It borders the eastern edge of the GSMNP, near Cataloochee. Love to fish the Davidson and a couple other area streams myself. I've been fishing over there since the mid 60's I quess. I haven't fished over there since the recent storms. We have a real mess in WNC from all the recent stroms. Lot's of roads are closed makeing it hard to get to some of my favorite areas to fish. Did your place in Cashiers make out OK? Love to chase those SM myself. I don't know Irish personally, but I do know of him by his reputation. Very good guide, and tyer of hair type flies for SM.

Hello from the other side of the mountains. You have named some trout streams where I would love to cast a fly. I have read about some of the streams in NC but haven't had time. Too busy working on my list of streams in Tennessee. So much water, so little time. headbang.gif

biggrin.gif Welcome aboard and Hello also from the other side of the Smokies! I need to get over that way as well. Some awsome trout water on your side. Look foward to some good Appalachian angling input fom you in the near future! Nice to see some more southern anglers comming onboard.

A.A.

*Notice- flyboy has grown up and is now Flyman. I think at some point I had signed up and forgotten about it dunno.gif Guess I must be suffering from old timers or CRS. This is pretty embarrassing to say the least. I do go by Flyman on a couple other boards I visit and would like to use that name here as well.

Thanks Skeet & AA. You fellows ever get the urge to come over this way, give me a shout. I'd be glad to show you around. I like to fish the S. Holston and the Tenn side of the park as well.

Also welcome aboard and thanks for the compliment.

Perhaps we and Troutbum can meet up and complete his conversion to a smallie guy.

Mrs. Irish has some church meetings this fall in Waynesville. I guess i need to come on over. Hopefully the flood repairs will be advanced enough to get somewhere.

How did the pigeon above Lake Logan survive??

Irish

Welcome to the site flyman.. you have come to the right place if your looking to learn, alot of good guys on the site.. cya around cheers.gif

Thanks again everyone for the welcome.

Irish,

I haven't been over that way since the storms. But if it's like everywhere else I've been, it's a mess. We've lost a lot of trees and streamside vegetation. All the rocks and streambeds have been scoured clean. Most of the trees and logs that were down in the water are gone. Worst floods I can remember. It's going to take a couple years for many of the streams to recover from these events.