Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Alternative material for shell backs?

Hello everyone, I am starting to tie sowbugs and scuds. I have went and bought the sowbug/scud dubbing and am now seeing there are quite a few patterns that are calling for all sorts of shell backs. Is there an alternative to having to buy a bunch of colors of shell backs? I have found a pattern that calls for plastic from a ziploc baggie. Now I have that. laugh.gif

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I will have one tied so I can post a picture of it before the end of the weekend.

Thanks

Jim

Saltwater flashabou makes nice shellbacks. It's wider and stiffer than normal size flashabou. It comes in a variety of colors and it's wide enough to cover the back of most scud patterns. Plus there's enough material in a package to tie about a million flies.

QUOTE (mozes @ Sep 25 2004, 06:38 AM)
You can use old audio tapes. There is enough material for MANY flies on one tape.

Now that's pretty inovative! Good one.

Swiss straw is my go to. The most interesting I have heard of are Brach's candy wrappers - something about that yellow color I guess.

Jay

I have been using some flashabou for the shellbacks, looks very good when you apply epoxy over it, like "Loons Salt Water Skalze". I should try using the ziplock, thats a good idea.

Lots of materials to use. Endless as your imagination, as you can see from above posts. I use the plastic baggy myself alot. But also use alot of edgebrite, and similar materials as well. Depending on how big I'm tying and what effect I want.

I've used the 'noisy' grocery bags. I cut it into strips twice as wide as what I need and then pull it. It stretches out and becomes very strong and shiny.

Art

Thanks guys I appreciate all the help on this. I was thinking maybe they were calling for specific materials for a specific effect. If that makes sense. huh.gif

Thanks alot

Jim