Fly Tying
Flytyer14

Rotary Vise poll

Rotary or not?  

773 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I tie with a Regal Medalion with ss jaws. I really like it a lot for its ease of use and the ability to turn the fly (not true rotary). I was looking at true rotary vises and like the J vise and the DK Ultimate indexer. I noticed that Regal says there Revolution is a true rotary, but from what I see it would not spin the hook on the hook axis, rather it would spin the vise on the vises axis??? That would make it a rotary vise but not a true rotary vise if I am not mistaken??

I do not think you are mistaken Aqueous, that is the way I see it also.

It's funny, Regal calls the Revolution "a true center spin, free spinning vice" meaning, I guess, the center of the jaws spin on their axis but not the hooks axis. It's all in how you word it but that is good for me, it's the same as the HMH.

Just bought the Peak "Camp package" about a month ago with all bells and couldn't be happier.

Being a new tier I haven't been able to use the rotary function much as intended but I am

catching a lot of my mistakes before its to late. I know for sure since using the

accessories (waste catcher,bobbin rest,material holders and profile plate) there's no going back to the old way :)

Gotta agree about the Regal. I also tie on a Medalion. Have had true rotary vises before, but decided to simplify and get away from having to adjust the jaws for different size hooks. It's not a true rotary, but does rotate the fly so you can see the backside.

I think most tiers, including myself, never use a true rotary to its full potential. If you're just starting out, and start with a true rotary, you probably have a leg up on other tiers who switch from a fixed vise or plain rotary like the regal.

I use a "EZ Rotary" Vise

I purchased it in November of 2011, up graded from an old Sunrise vise which i purchased in 2002, It came in a kit. Still good condition.

I am on a budget and I wanted to buy a rotary vise, and i found this one for under $50.00.

It has very good Quality for the price and I have not been disappointed with it at all.

It has full true rotary capability which makes it very easy to see all sides without taking the hook out of the vise.

The jaws holds the hook well and does not slip. and does not hurt the hook that I have noticed.

This vise serves my requirements very well which is tying for PanFish in hook sizes mostly #6"s and #8's.

This vise is suppose to handle hooks from #20 up thru #4.

Don

I use a "EZ Rotary" Vise

I purchased it in November of 2011, up graded from an old Sunrise vise which i purchased in 2002, It came in a kit. Still good condition.

I am on a budget and I wanted to buy a rotary vise, and i found this one for under $50.00.

It has very good Quality for the price and I have not been disappointed with it at all.

It has full true rotary capability which makes it very easy to see all sides without taking the hook out of the vise.

The jaws holds the hook well and does not slip. and does not hurt the hook that I have noticed.

This vise serves my requirements very well which is tying for PanFish in hook sizes mostly #6"s and #8's.

This vise is suppose to handle hooks from #20 up thru #4.

Don

Where is a good to find used rotary vise,does not have to high end vise. I have looked at the forums boards with no luck. Any help I would be thankful, as I'm in a nursing home and my money is very limited. Best of luck to everyone. George

My vote (non-rotary) was cast assuming that rotary meant

"true rotary". You know, no hook shank wobble if you have

the hook mounted just so.

The HMH Spartan I use I therefore consider non-rotary by

today's standard.

I tie on a true rotary vise, but don't always use the full rotary function. Still, it's a hook-gripping mother, and I've never had reason to dislike it. I recently bought a Anvil Apex (a non-rotary vise, but a "rotating" vise) and it's fine, but I just got it because most of us need a second vise and I wanted to see if the rotary ability made a difference. It does, but I could do without it if I had to.

I tie with a peak rotary and enjoy it very much. My previous vice was a cheapy form a kit and stripped out after 10 or so flies so it was being held together with rubber bands. It's a world of difference using the peak, now if i could only afford the add ons....

I tie on a true rotary vise, but don't always use the full rotary function. Still, it's a hook-gripping mother, and I've never had reason to dislike it. I recently bought a Anvil Apex (a non-rotary vise, but a "rotating" vise) and it's fine, but I just got it because most of us need a second vise and I wanted to see if the rotary ability made a difference. It does, but I could do without it if I had to.

That's the one I have. Just to clear things up a bit it is a rotary vice, just not a true-rotary vice. But even that can be basically accomplished if you level the head ;)

I don't think it's a "true" rotary even if you level it out. The axis of the hook will be eliptical when you spin it. For the price, the Apex is among the "best buys" out there. Takes a little getting used to after my Renzetti. Because I don't read instructions, I didn't realize the jaws were grooved for different-sized hooks.

I use a griffin rotary vise. It works for what i need but will be upgrading in the near future. Thinking of the nor vise