Fly Tying

I took this for a contest themed Warm Water Flyfishing. I wound up winning a 4wt TFO, first contest I ever won. I shot it with my D300 on a tripod. I casted the fly out, held the rod with my left hand and with my right finger on the shutter, held it down for consecutive shots. Even with the fast/multiple shutter releases, it took a little while and a bunch of casts.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. No, I don't normally chug a popper that hard when fishing, it would probably scare the scales off the fish but I thought it would be a good effect for the contest.

Kirk

KED_4730Web.jpg

Pretty cool shot. With the self timer? okay, now tell us how many times you did it till you got the pop right at the perfect time when the shutter clicked :D

Steve

Pretty cool shot. With the self timer? okay, now tell us how many times you did it till you got the pop right at the perfect time when the shutter clicked :D

Steve

Good question Steve. I'll have to check the metatdata. Now that you ask, I'm thinking more about what I did and I think I used the self timer to get some shots of the "ring" or ripples after a fly lands. Now that I'm thinking about it, I better change my original post cause I think I just flipped the bug out and actually held my finger on the shutter release while simultaniously popping the bug and got multiple shots - quite the opposite of the self timer but still tricky getting the right "pop".

Kirk

Kirk It's a great capture no matter how you did it :) Really nice!

Steve

Good question Steve. I'll have to check the metatdata. Now that you ask, I'm thinking more about what I did and I think I used the self timer to get some shots of the "ring" or ripples after a fly lands. Now that I'm thinking about it, I better change my original post cause I think I just flipped the bug out and actually held my finger on the shutter release while simultaniously popping the bug and got multiple shots - quite the opposite of the self timer but still tricky getting the right "pop".

Kirk

That's cool man. I just got a chuckle out of picturing how many times you must of tried to get the shot timed right with the timer on that's why I had to ask how many times you tried till you finally got it ;)

Steve

That's cool man. I just got a chuckle out of picturing how many times you must of tried to get the shot timed right with the timer on that's why I had to ask how many times you tried till you finally got it ;)

Steve

Steve, I hope I didn't come off defensive I was actually glad you posed the question. It made me recall that day and the fun I had shooting this.

Here is the one I did use the timer with so that I could step back and plop the fly in the spot to create a good ripple. Catching a ripple leaves a lot more leeway time wise than catching a pop so the self timer was the ticket for the ripple. All my friends liked The Pop better though so, I submitted that one.

Kirk

KED_4706-1.jpg

Dart, funny; truth is, I was doing so much popping and splatting, every fish in that pond probably thought the world was coming to an end!

Denis, thanks. That rod is one of my favorites.

Kirk