Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishyboY

Dry Fly Head Cement?

what do you guys use for dry fly head cement. i heard that regular head cement can actually make the fly sink. which makes sense... so i would like to hear what you guys do?

whip to fish.. super glue to keep

I agree with the majority above--I just use a whip finish (or half hitches), no head cement. I think the small gain in durability is outweighed by the risk of affecting flotation.

Occasionally, on large, bushy dry flies, I'll put a tiny bit of super glue on the whip finish.

i heard that regular head cement can actually make the fly sink. which makes sense...

It does? How so? Considering the negligible amount of weight dried head cement would add, I find it hard to believe this is an issue. Get a scale out and see for yourself.

If you are trying to make your fly more durable, the judicious application of cement can make a fly last considerably longer. You would use the cement not just on the finished head, but throughout the pattern. Superglue or Fleximent works well for this application.

Most tiers, however, forego using head cement as a matter of convenience.

i heard that regular head cement can actually make the fly sink. which makes sense...

It does? How so? Considering the negligible amount of weight dried head cement would add, I find it hard to believe this is an issue. Get a scale out and see for yourself.

chill its just peoples opinions

i heard that regular head cement can actually make the fly sink.

Hey Wray you offered an opinion and he told you what was wrong with it--isn't that kind of what you wanted? ;)

i heard that regular head cement can actually make the fly sink.

Hey Wray you offered an opinion and he told you what was wrong with it--isn't that kind of what you wanted? ;)

Opinions are never wrong, Jan!

What if I said it was my opinion that the moon is made of green cheese? ;)

Then it is my opinion that you're clinically insane. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and form of thinking no matter the dynamics.