Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WYKnot

Ugly flies

A guy approached me after a tying demonstration a few months back; he apparently felt some profound obligation to offer a critique of my tying skills (If you’ve done many demos, you know the type of person I’m talking about). He informed me my flies were 'rather messy and unkempt' in their appearence.

I entertained his option and talked to him about the appearance of real insects (versus imitation flies), visual cues that represent animation in the water, and the appearance of a successful fly - one that has been chewed on by hungry trout. I finally offered him half a dozen flies with the admonition to overlook their 'unkempt' appearance and actually fish them on the local creek.

Two weeks later the same guy called me, ordered three dozen of my ugly flies.

The only real judge of a fly's appearence is the eye of the intended query.

(If you’ve done many demos, you know the type of person I’m talking about).

It's amazing how man "Experts" there are walking around at shows&demos isn't it Russ :D

Steve

I see your side, and his side of the story. I think he's coming from the mind set of confidence. I have direct understanding of his point of view which is, "if you're confident in your fly, it will fish well". I try to get my flies to come out looking like the picture and if it's not, it gets tossed. Every fly that I do keep and tie on the river, I know that it meets the standards of ME and I'll be more confident when I fish. It's all a mind game I do believe :) .

Flies truly are a reflection of our own taste and style. Though many of the 'fly show pundits' may aspire to a higher aesthetic, it really comes down to how a tier feels about his work (yes, confidence). My confidence is fueled by takes on a slow drift, but I do like a well-proportioned fly and (forgive my ego) enjoy sporting a few 'pretty' flies on my drying patch or hat band just for the favorable comments. There really are 'some to show, and some to throw.'

The important point (in my opinion) is that every angler has a role in preserving our sport and every tier furthers our craft; my fly show friend may be a key player in the years ahead.

He might just go round talking about peoples work to get free flies. I am going to have to try that. :devil:

Dan

Good luck, Dan. When I tried the scheme, all I got was a business card. <_<

(If you’ve done many demos, you know the type of person I’m talking about).

It's amazing how man "Experts" there are walking around at shows&demos isn't it Russ :D

Steve

You're right Steve. My favorite experience was a couple years back, tying at the FFF conclave in Livingston, MT. A guy came up to me at the demo table and starts ranting about the poor quality of photography in my latest fly tying book. When I told him I did not have any fly tying books published, he stared at me a minute, then asked if I was sure...?

Scary at times, isn't it? :unsure:

When I told him I did not have any fly tying books published, he stared at me a minute, then asked if I was sure...?

That could be the best thing I have read on here this year :hyst: :hyst: