Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flytyer14

Thread....

Depends on what you want. UNI is great thread. I use it all the time, but only in the small sizes (8/0 on up)

Danville is also one of my favorites. It lies flat on the hook shank which I like alot. I mostly use it in 6/0 and 3/0. They make a killer thread.

Is The sizes 3/0, 6/0 & 8/0 talking about the Dia. of the thread or the size of the spool? When I buy a spool is there a better size than another,or is it just a price thing? I am tying for myself and can not imagine going through a big spool of threat in a life time. Maybe I am wrong. Please advise. Thanks Guy's and any Girls!

Depends on what you want. UNI is great thread. I use it all the time, but only in the small sizes (8/0 on up)

Danville is also one of my favorites. It lies flat on the hook shank which I like alot. I mostly use it in 6/0 and 3/0. They make a killer thread.

Is The sizes 3/0, 6/0 & 8/0 talking about the Dia. of the thread or the size of the spool? When I buy a spool is there a better size than another,or is it just a price thing? I am tying for myself and can not imagine going through a big spool of threat in a life time. Maybe I am wrong. Please advise. Thanks Guy's and any Girls!

It's the thread diameter. 3/0, 6/0 and 8/0 are approx. 210, 140 and 70 denier.

If you're tying dries and not spinning deer hair or doing other heavy duty work, then sheer 14/0 and uni trico 17/0 should be fine, all you'll need. Gudebrod 10/0 is the best but apparantly it's not being made anymore. Fine thread is great cos you don't get unwanted build up.