Fly Tying
NJ All Day

HMH Spartan vs. Renzetti Traveler

Hey there i've been thinking about getting a new vise for my birthday in a couple months. When ever i buy something i always do my homework and try to pick the best item within my budget. And what better place to pick than to get the pro's and con's and people's opinion from people that have actually used them. My budget is 200 dollars and right now i'm stuck between The HMH Spartan Vise and The Renzetti Traveler vise.

I like the Spartan because it is simple looking without all those bells and whistles that can eventually break, and it looks pretty sturdy. Also i like how it is also rotary.

I like the Renzetti because it also dosent have as many parts that can break, also it is rotary and it looks like changing the hooks might be easier.

I just wanted every one's opinion if you have used either of them just add what you like and what you dont like.

Also if you know any other good vises for $200 or under would be great.

Thanks.

I have both and they are two totally different vises. The Traveler is a true rotary vise where the spartan isn't. It can be used like a rotary vise but if you want true rotary get the Traveler. I like the Spartan for tying small flies since you can tip the head up have a fairly open bend of the hook. I have tied to a 22 on the traveler without problems so don't think you can't. The Traveler is great for dries if you like to spin the hook instead of the hackle. I would try them to see what you like better. I also have a Dyna KIng Barracuda and it's also a great rotary vise.

the traveler is some good stuff. i used the rotary more than i thought i would! it does great with small flies and large flies!

Both are good vises that will provide a lifetime of service. I own a Spartan, and tie on it frequently. I will not own a Renzetti product, so I can't comment on the Traveler other than to note that lots of folks tie on them and never want a different vise.

The Spartan is a great all-around vise, and packs very small if you ever think you'll tie while traveling. My only issue with the vise is for tying Clousers - I prefer a rotary for those. Also if you're used to being able to move your hand around under the vise, you don't have as much room under the vise due to the post. But it holds hooks very well, is extremely well machined, and will last hundreds of thousands of flies for you.

Within your budget, if you're really looking at rotaries, I'd also consider the PEAK. Very well made vise, and you could get it with pretty much all the options for within your budget. In my opinion, the PEAK is one of the finest trout vises ever made.

Spend $20 more and get the Dyna King Trekker.

Click here

I think i'll go with the Dyna King.

Also what would be a good PEAK vise?

Spend $20 more and get the Dyna King Trekker.

Click here

I think i'll go with the Dyna King.

Also what would be a good PEAK vise?

The setup I really like with the PEAK is the D-arm, the brass screws, and the material clip. I think their base is the best out there (I liked it better than my Dyna-King Barracuda's). Vise jaws are a personal choice - I can say that the midge jaws have more clearance for size 18 and down than any others I've used (I tie a lot of 18 - 22 midges). But the standard jaws will work from about a size 22 up to a 1/0 saltwater hook. Very good all-around vise.

Dyna Kings (in my experience) are better than the PEAK for hook sizes of about 8 and up. But the stock jaws don't work as well as the PEAK's do down around a size 20. Every vise has something it's better at, and things that it's not quite as good at.

The HMH Spartan will tie a very large range of hooks very well if you can live with the somewhat-limited rotary function.

That's it I'm gonna get the Dyna King sounds lkr a great vise and I don't think i be tying to many 20's and down, I usally tie bass and bluegill flies. Size 16-2 so Dyna King sounds great.

That's it I'm gonna get the Dyna King sounds lkr a great vise and I don't think i be tying to many 20's and down, I usally tie bass and bluegill flies. Size 16-2 so Dyna King sounds great.

Good choice, you won't regret it! Let me know how it works for you and post pictures when you get it! We fly tiers pride ourselves on our gadgets...

I've used the Renzetti Travler for the past 18yrs, its a good vise, but if/when I replace it it will be with a Dyna-King Trekker. I've tied on a Trekker before and it will hold the larger size hooks better.

Steve

Personally, I wouldn't trade my HMH for a Traveler, DK, or Peak.

Not saying the others aren't all great vises, but for me, my Spartan has handled

everything I've tied without a hitch. From size #22 midges to

3/0 irons. And I can't imagine a vise being any better made.

Still...it's just a matter of preference.

Mike