Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SBW

Realistics - Where to start

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking around this forum for a couple of months. I view in amazement some of the work you guys are doing. I'd like to try my hand at some realistics, but I'm not too sure where to start.

Can any of you guys point me in the right direction?

Any references, websites, books (preferably with step by steps) etc would be appreciated. What would be a good beginners pattern?

Thanks in advance

Shaun (all the way from NZ)

here is a website from one of the guys on here great guy he has a cd rom out that is great and is willing to help with anything http://www.realisticflytying.net/ also asking questions on here will get you some great answers as for a beginer pattern I would say a bee or wasp is great to start on but best thing is to find an insect that is readily available for you to look at then take a bunch of pics and measurements

Hi Shaun,

New Zealand is only a few taps on the keys away, so please keep using them. It's great to see another budding realistic tyer here & on the whole we're not to bad to get along with, as you've obviously found out by joining in with us.

I would start off by trying to tie an ant, on say a size 12 then once you get used to the slightly different ways of tying, go down a size etc until you've reached an 18. Please post pics, so we can see how you're progressing & that way we may ba able to advise you of easier ways to get around the various "challenges" you encounter as you progress.

Hey Shaun,

There are not that many books about realistic fly tying but (one of) the best is probably Flies as art from Paul Whillock. If you can get your hands on that you will have a lot fun with it for years. Combine that book with things you can find on the web to create a way of working that suits you. Things that work for me might not be your way. As you might have seen in previous topics we all have our ideas on what is cool and what is not and some discussions even go way over the edge so.....just read and filter out some stuff that will work for you.

This is a site you really need to check and bookmark: www.troutnut.com this site will show you close-ups of bugs you will love to study. I use it all the time.

Spiders and ant's are the "simple" things to start with. You can start with stonefly nimphs if you like that but it will most likely take you several times to get it to a level you would be happy with. I do think that it is more fun working on a bug you like rather than one you can find in your local area. Internet will give you all the info you can ever need on bugs from the onther side of the world so no need to start in your back yard if you ask me.

Greets Paul

Shaun

I think the best way to start is with semi-realistics. You know- flies that have the right proportions and colours and have all the major structures (tails, abdominal segments, articulated legs, wingcases, wings, thoracic segments, head and maybe eyes) but may lack the smaller details (like claspers, gills, tarsal hairs, mouth parts, feet,...) or may just give the impression of these (ie: teased out dubbing for gills.) Once you are happy with the semis, you can begin finding ways to create the finer details.

You will save a lot of time by getting control of the basics first. (And you will have some flies you can actually present to their hardest critics- the fish.)

Thanks for all the great feedback guys.

Rockworm - I love the idea about starting off with some semi realistics. Might give that a shot first.

I'll try and keep you guys updated on my progress.

Wow lots of great advice :bugeyes:

I'm in my first year of realistic's and all these people have commented or given advise as to, how to improve! There are others to that I'm sure will also comment like "British Mike" "Fred H" there are a lot of great tiers here!

I like the comment "you will find your own way", its true somethings will be acceptable to you and some will not??

I think on whats a great place to start!! What bugs do you like??

I apoligize right now to all the great tiers, if you feel I should not have commented on this.

I just wanted to give the perspective from a first year realistic tier.

Welcome to the adventure!!

Blessings,

Jeremy

Yes Jeremy....SHAME ON YOU....posting on a subject like this after only ONE year of tying realistics !!! ;)

Are you nuts? Youre opinion or perspective is as valuable as any other.

Greets Paul