Fly Tying
Justyn

Beginner Patterns?

I have been tying gince christmas. Im still not to good. Can u guys give me some patterns to try. Ive tried Pt, Wooley Bugger, Brassie, HARES ear, Cadddis larvae, Adams, Grifiths Gnat

Clouser it's a good starter.

ditto. :headbang: also a pheasant tail and prince nymph

I have been tying gince christmas. Im still not to good. Can u guys give me some patterns to try. Ive tried Pt, Wooley Bugger, Brassie, HARES ear, Cadddis larvae, Adams, Grifiths Gnat

How many of each pattern are you tying? I would recommend tie more of each to improve your skills. I have found that it takes about 12 of a pattern to start to get the hang of it. It takes more to iron out the proportions and you will find your skills improving.

Try to evaluate specific aspects of your tying that you want to improve. Watch some other people tie on line or in person if you can, it will improve your technique.

Fishyboy added one to the database awhile ago Zonker V. It's a EXCELLENT tie. It fishes nicely too.

Stick with the basic patterns and get good at them. I decided to get back to the basics and followed Charlie Craven's book from beginning to end. It has really improved my tying. Once you perfect those basic patterns (PT, GRHE, BWO, Woolly bugger, EH caddis, prince, etc.) it will carry over to more complicated patterns. Tie everyday if you can and you will get better.

Along with repitition another tip that has helped me was to tie patterns a few sizes larger than what you would normally fish. For example a griffiths nat is usually fished in a size 18 to 22. I would try to tie it in a size 12. Once you get the hang of it and master the steps then try it in a smaller size.

Most of all don't give up!!

Thanks guys. I have also found that when i tied for a couple swaps i tied a lot better

Your information doesn't say where you are from. Find out what flies are popular in your area and working for whatever you are trying to catch. If there is a good fly shop in your area, buy one or two of the patterns to thank them for the information and then to try and copy at home.

I've found that tying patterns you have confidence in for catching fish will help your motivation to improve in tying them.

Deeky

Justyn,

It all depends where you are from, like the others guys have said. I am from Oregon and the Green Caddis are getting hammered. I am fairly new to tying and found this one really easy to tie.

Fishyboy added one to the database awhile ago Zonker V. It's a EXCELLENT tie. It fishes nicely too.

cool stuff that you fished it. hope you liked the stuff.

Thanks guys. I have also found that when i tied for a couple swaps i tied a lot better

thats because tying a lot of the same fly in the same size helps you improve greatly!