Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tail Stalker

Norlander Nor-Vise

Lionus and others,

Esquire may have a point, when it comes to a vise having it's own wheel house. I can only speak from the perspective of a saltwater fly tier, who sells flies on line. From that perspective, the Peak is not a good vise. I have no axe to grind with Peak. It served its purpose for about 2 years, but I know enough now, that that vise is not suitable for person tying saltwater flies at a pretty good quantity level. The jaws, I promise you, will not hold the way you want them to and the clamping arm is painful to use. Of course, it's hard to get everyone to agree on anything, so I'm not knocking Esquire's opinion. He makes some valid points.

However, with the Peak, if you get one and find you are not happy with it, remember I told you so :)

Happy tying my friends.

Rick

I agree with FairWx's statement, "if you have issues with the vise, then it's not the vise that has issues"...

If your Peak is not holding hooks, then something is not right. I've had a Peak for several years and have tied mucho saltwater stuff on it. By any chance are you using Mustad 3407 Dura-Tin plated hooks? They have a slippery coating and are hard to hold in any vise. A small slip of paper folded over the hook bend makes them rock solid.

Promising someone the jaws won't hold, just ain't cool. Send it back to Peak and have them take a look at it, something sounds wrong.

OK everyone, I owe Peak a bit of an apology. After tying for 2 years, someone made me realize that I have had the wrong jaws in my vise for saltwater. I feel foolish, but had to fess up. I'm still not crazy aobut the vise, but will be much happier with it after I install the new jaws. I'm buying the right jaws on line for $37.00 When I bought the vise at BP, there wasn't an option on jaws. Thanks for everyone's feedback. This will do for now, but I still plan on getting a new vise within the next year.

High Tails & Tight Lines

ps still love the videos of te Nor-Vise

By any chance are you using Mustad 3407 Dura-Tin plated hooks? They have a slippery coating and are hard to hold in any vise. A small slip of paper folded over the hook bend makes them rock solid.

That's a great idea for the 3407. I tie on them more than any other hook. I prefer them to the 34007 because if a fish breaks you off the Duratin will rust out alot faster than the stainless steal of the 34007. But you are right about the slippery coating. Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

By any chance are you using Mustad 3407 Dura-Tin plated hooks? They have a slippery coating and are hard to hold in any vise. A small slip of paper folded over the hook bend makes them rock solid.

That's a great idea for the 3407. I tie on them more than any other hook. I prefer them to the 34007 because if a fish breaks you off the Duratin will rust out alot faster than the stainless steal of the 34007. But you are right about the slippery coating. Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

The thanks goes to a forum member called Trad, who gave me the tip in 2008. I'm just passin' it around!

I'd seen the Salmon Fly tyers doing this thing with the paper and thought it was just to protect the finish on the expensive hooks. I didn't realize it acts as a grip improver too...

do you all mean the "34007" standard saltwater hook?

do you all mean the "34007" standard saltwater hook?

The 3407 and 34007 are the same style and size hooks, however the 34007 is a stainless steal hook while the 3407DT is coated with Duratin and is quite a bit cheaper.