Fly Tying
fly_fischa

First saltwater bonefish flies

I am feeling a bit lost here, being a diehard colwater/trout fly tyer.

My best friend decided it was a good idea to head to Christmas Island without me <_< (not that I could afford it). To make matters worse he's asked me to tie some flies for him.

I think I'll wait until he's back from the trip before I mention that I pre-stressed the hooks in my vise. :ph34r:

Thought I'd share a few of the ties, I had samples to follow/modify, any critique is welcome. I must say I enjoyed the process but have discovered that I put craft on par with deer hair for one of my least favourite materials.

4732718136_fdbb2f09fa_b.jpg

4732718130_4eafe292cc_b.jpg

4732718124_f5c6311f1d_b.jpg

Very Nice. The addition of a few rubber or silicone legs would make them really stand out.

What size are those? They would probably make good carp flies also.

Thanks Robert M.

I was thinking of using rubber legs and possibly cdc. These flies were the ones my friend requested tied on both #6 and #4 irons.

I fulfilled the required order and followed the brief now I am going to tie some of my own creations.

I might post them if they're not too horrendous :P

A dubbed body works good to for spooky fish. A friend that fishes Key West had me tie up some with a full body of synthetic dubbing applied in a dubbing loop. The synthetic material shed water on the cast and made for a more gentle presentation, less kerplunk when the fly entered the water.

The flies you tied are good quality/proportioned flies. Nice job! Please post your creations.

Kirk

Post away, ridiculous or not bone fish flies make some of the best bluegill and carp flies EVER! It is funny though that craft fur can bee as big if not bigger pain in the arse to tie with as deer hair... it take a feel for the material before you really get comfortable with it.

Steve

Kirk - Thanks for the feedback, I like the idea of a dubbed body and something a bit more subdued.

Robert - Appreciate your encouragement :)

Steve - Good to know that these flies work well on Carp, we've got lots of them and I've never bothered chasing them on a fly rod. Could be fun, certainly opens up a lot of close by fishing opportunities.

On the craft fur front, I think it's equally as messy I didn't realise I had fur all over me before I left the house to go to our local store (not a good look). The one thing I couldn't understand is the inconsistency of the material considering it's synthetic, difference in length and patchiness? I found it hard getting equal clumps off the patch, it got tired of longish strands pretty quickly and I can't see the use for underfur in a synthetic? I guess I could shave it off and make a dubbing out of it?

I'd be interested to hear how others tie the craft fur in at the front of the hook eye. For me this was the most difficult step.

I measured for length pinched the tie in point with my non tying hand, cut the material flush/square, length of stubbs = head space left. I tried to hold the exposed stubbs parallel to the hook and slightly towards me to counter the thread torque. The problem is trying to keep the stubbs even as the hook point and vice jaws are in the way, inevitably the material is held at a slight angle causing some of the stubbs to get misaligned. My concern is that the fibers don't compress and if there are a few short stubbs that come free through use the whole wing will start disintegrating? Any tricks/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Karsten

Those are some beautiful flies you got there, i believe they will catch some hefty bonefish. With the last fly there what do you use for the body?

Sorry about the above, that's my wife, she used my computer and didn't sign out...

Anyway, NJ not my flies but an educated guess would be krystal flash, I use the same thing only a little brighter pink and then stack pink over white congo hair, add a nice fat hot pink head and catch all the crappie and gills you can stomach.

On the congo hair subject, that is what I use instead of craft fur, most often I use craft fur in dubbing loops and brushes. Dubbing might be cool though never tried it but I'll bet it would be fun none the less. If you're thinking carp though think olive, craw, and white, maybe a chartreuse or two.

Thanks NJ glad you like the flies, the body material in the last fly is pearl crystal flash. Tie in 5-6 strands for your tails overbind the remaining strands up to the eyes and back to the tail. Grab the strands and wind forward in touching turns.

Steve - thanks for the info, I'll give the carp flies a lash in the near future. Sound like I'll be trying congo hair out fort my next batch ;)

If I end up blending the remaining craft fur waste/stubbs into a dubbing I'll post the results.

Very well crafted. Dont forget a plain ole white crazy charlie either. first flyfish bonefish I ever caught was on a white fly. I like the pink head.

A good way to keep the craft fur from unraveling is the same way Lefty builds a clouser. Add a dab of head cement to the cut ends before lashing them down.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

The head cement is a good idea and I'll be adding some plain white CC's today ;)