Fly Tying
coinman66

Canoe, Kayak, or Pontoon?

Wow, lots of varying opinions on this one... I would read that as, it definitely depends on your needs and skills.

For me, the 1 man pontoon is the best all around for maneuverability, stability, ease of transport, comfort, stowing gear (for overnighters or long-day floats), esp bigger rivers, ponds, and lakes.

However, the kayak excels in low-water conditions, and that only for streams. With a pontoon, if the water is low, you'll either have to get out and drag it (which you sometimes have to do anyway with kayaks), or in 'slightly' shallow runs let the rocks spin you around one way, then other. Sometimes you have to drag with a kayak, which is never much fun (really just a minor inconvenience), but spinning willy-nilly in a pontoon (NO danger of flipping) through a short run is actually pretty fun! :jumpy:

I've been all day in both... pontoon is like sitting in a recliner all day (as long as the fit is right); kayak = sore back, sometimes legs. The sit-on-top kayak is a lot more functional for the average day-tripper as far as kayaks go.

Another minor advantage of the pontoon is sitting a tad higher off the water which gives increased visibility for sight fishing, even with polarized glasses. I was shocked at the difference the first time I use a kayak.

I would suggest borrowing some buddies' different crafts before making a decision, just so you know what works best for you. Also check reviews and look for features that cater to the kind of fishing you do. No two pontoons or kayaks are the same, and what's good for one person may be awful for someone else.

For example, if speed is a factor (large lake, have to get a quarter mile over right now, etc), either a kayak or the pontoon with trolling motor or very small outboard mounted. (In the case of the latter, some states require you to register your boat if used with a motor).

PS- "Yea them pontoons have no such control" I have to disagree strongly here. If you wear fins with your pontoon, a proper kick will spin you 180 degrees right now. Put the rod in your lap and the oars can do the same. You can rig the craft to stow the oars out of the way but with quick access. Wind blowing you downshore? Pontoon, just kick to slow the progress or work against the wind... kayak, let the wind blow you down and sideways (or sometimes backwards), then drop everything, paddle backwards or in a big circle to get where you wanted to still be to begin with.

I've also got lower back issues due to sports. You guys with back issues should really check out the Native watercraft stuff. I've got no affiliation with them. They have very comfortable seats with lots of adjustability for angle. You can take them out and use the seat as a chair if you stop. Some guys even mount the seat on the gunnels for a higher seating position.

I've also got lower back issues due to sports. You guys with back issues should really check out the Native watercraft stuff. I've got no affiliation with them. They have very comfortable seats with lots of adjustability for angle. You can take them out and use the seat as a chair if you stop. Some guys even mount the seat on the gunnels for a higher seating position.

I agree one of the most comfortable seat I ever been able to paddle out of a small craft. Which is why I have one. Before I bought my Ultimate 3 years ago I was onlt able to fish about 4 hours then I get the Ultimate 12 and the seat, what a big difference! I can go almost all day out of it.

I bought a flat back canoe last year and it is great. It is a 16 ft old town. It is a little under 100 lbs easy to transport on top of the roof. I bought a 30lb thrust motor for it and it actually go prettty fast and it is also easy to paddle with. Ive pulled out some hogs wiht it. And with a kayak or canoe you can get into the little spots that the bigger boats cant get into. Good Luck

I'm about to demo a freedom hawk . It is a kayak with two rear pontoons that can be folded inline when in motion or outrigged for stability to allow one to stand and cast. I 'll let you know after I've put it to the test. I like the added stability pontoons can add when traveling across open water . Being abel to stand and stretch would also be a plus. After hearing of more anglers being struck by lightening , I'm beginning to believe it's time to retire my aluminum canoe. My only concern at this point is sitting so low in the water with the aligators. I've never been worried about them fishing from my canoe. Kayaks on the other hand almost resemble a serving tray.

Fred