Fly Tying
utyer

A couple for my next trip

Hopefully this caddis will skitter across the surface, and take a few trout on my trip to Utah next week. The ant pattern is always a good one on so I have been tying up a new bunch, some black and some orange.

post-12074-1280939222_thumb.jpg

post-12074-1280939235_thumb.jpg

nice work... be ready to catch some fish

I like the flies!

But that hook you tied the ant on really caught my attention, what brand and model is it? Looks like one of those semibarbed hooks.

/G

To the best of my recollection, that is an old Mustad Hook, posibly the 3257B. Its a size 16, and I did at one time have them in larger sizes. The 16s are all I have left. They were a standard or 1xh wire hook, and I remember tying a lot of flies on them in the 70s and 80s. Now there are a lot of barbless hooks that I like better. This one was just laying in my odd hook box.

To the best of my recollection, that is an old Mustad Hook, posibly the 3257B. Its a size 16, and I did at one time have them in larger sizes. The 16s are all I have left. They were a standard or 1xh wire hook, and I remember tying a lot of flies on them in the 70s and 80s. Now there are a lot of barbless hooks that I like better. This one was just laying in my odd hook box.

Ok, cool hook though. Mustad was very inventive back in the days..

Utyer, I do envy your work with upside down hooks. It gives me a lot of great ideas so thank you for being my muse!

Turned out that the caddis was the answer last week. Every where I went the fish were taking caddis patterns.