Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
steelie

Articulated tube leech

Good Day,

So I was reading the latest issue of Fly Tying and Fishing Journal and they had an article on an articulated leech type of pattern tied on Waddington shanks and connected with split rings. And it got me thinking... I don't have any Waddington shanks, but I do have tubes! Keep in mind this is a prototype, but I think it has potential. Three sections with a plastic bead in between. I think the advantage here is that it makes it quite easy to create any number of color combinations right on the water in order to suit conditions. I think it needs some flash and maybe more rubber legs... ;-)

post-295-1283038286_thumb.jpg

Steelie

This sounds interesting, but I don't think the photo quite illustrates what you did. Any chance you can show how this is 3 tubes and if they are swappable parts? I like the idea of swapping parts of a fly on the water to make something new.

thanks!

Good Day,

Hey Oatka! I hope this photo does a little better, showing the individual components. I think that if the leader to tippet connection is via a surgeon or double surgeon loop (or similar), you should be able to change components without having to tie on an all new tippet. Simply separate the two loops, slide off what you want to change and slide on the "new" color/component(s). Reconnect loops. BTW, this one is 6" long, so it is a BIG fly.

post-295-1283216429_thumb.jpg

Steelie

I love it! That's what I thought it was, but having the image sure helps. Great job. I could see using something like that and go crazy just changing 1 part at a time for hours.

add rubber legs? BAM - done

add a color? BAM - done

remove a section? BAM - done

this is on my list in 100 years when i start tying tubes.

Just wondering how does it cast, with all those joints involved?

What rod and line setup do you use when tossing this monster?

I love the design, steelie! I need to give these a try this fall for the local steelhead (Erie tribs). The design looks like it would be great when the water is running high and murky. I'd like to try a some of these in high contrast colors (black-white-black) or (white-black-white) or (all black) etc.

I love the design, steelie! I need to give these a try this fall for the local steelhead (Erie tribs). The design looks like it would be great when the water is running high and murky. I'd like to try a some of these in high contrast colors (black-white-black) or (white-black-white) or (all black) etc.

Black and Kingfisher Blue is probably the best leech combo I have found for Steelhead. Closely followed by Black/Purple and Purple/Pink.

Good Day,

Thanks guys! Once again this was inspired by an article in the Fall 2010 Fly Tying and Fishing Journal (April Vokey on the cover). I simply took their idea of using Waddington shanks and ran a different direction. I have been mulling over the issue of exchanging components... And think I may have found a simpler solution for this. Taking the basic concept of this ingenious rigging concept:

http://www.schmidtoutfitters.com/index.cfm...;feature_id=171

Rather, instead of a typical barrel swivel, what about a snap swivel? A loop knot at the end of the leader/tippet that you can "snap" into. Simply open the snap swivel and make your changes...? Hmmm...

Steelie

Just wondering how does it cast, with all those joints involved?

What rod and line setup do you use when tossing this monster?

Good Day,

I would say as currently designed, nothing less than a 7wt+ as it is intended initially for steelhead or salmon. Although if the tubes were shorter and had less weight (cone) I think you could get away with a lighter rod for say... smallies or LMB.

Steelie