Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
clemmy

fly hook wire diameter??

Hello,

I'm used to seeing various hook manufacturers label their hooks as 1XL, X-HVY, etc... Of course wghat this actually describes varies by manufacturer. I was wondering if anyone could tell me (or give a link to) any info on the actual wire diameter used in average dry fly hooks? Or if someone knows the guage of the wire I could convert that. I've googled and I've been to most manufacturers sites, but the manufacturers don't tell and I found only a bunch of hook anatomy/hook comparison charts using google.

Thanks!

Clemmy

I don't believe such a chart exists, for today's insanely varied hook market. In Ray Bergman's "Trout", he gave a table of so called standard sizes and wire diameters for fly hooks. I'm sure it was right on for the time it was written.

The only way to know is to decide what manufacturer and style of hook you like, and measure it with a micrometer. Don't forget if the hook is forged, it will not be round and you will need two measurements (at least at the bend).

The #X fine or #X heavy (or short or long) only matters for that individual style and maker of hook. In other words, a 2X fine dry fly hook size 12, will be made of the same wire as that maker's standard dry fly hook size 14 , or 16, depending on the maker. It's all very arbitrary and not worth getting too worked up over. Most makers have a "standard" dry fly hook, and you can measure measure measure from there. The fish are not carrying micrometers, and as long as you use a hook that works the way you want it to, you'll be doing well.

Thanks for the info. The reason is I found some panfish style hooks that I wanted to try for a dry fly pattern I'd been dreaming up. I know my hook that I found is .59 millimeters, so I was wondering how that would compare to most dry fly hooks of size 12-14 or so. I'm hoping I'd be able to get away without using foam or such. I have to order the hook from overseas, and am not sure it's worth it. Otherwise I'd simply weigh it.

Yours,

Craig

sounds like an awful dam' lot of trouble. Find a similar hook and buy a couple different sizes, and just go for it. For panfish, light wire hooks (1x 2x fine or whatever) always work good for me. What size hook are you stressing over? I have several "standard" dry fly hooks and the measuring tools. I'll get the diameters of those if you want, and post them.

Thanks for the info. The reason is I found some panfish style hooks that I wanted to try for a dry fly pattern I'd been dreaming up. I know my hook that I found is .59 millimeters, so I was wondering how that would compare to most dry fly hooks of size 12-14 or so. I'm hoping I'd be able to get away without using foam or such. I have to order the hook from overseas, and am not sure it's worth it. Otherwise I'd simply weigh it.

Yours,

Craig

what are "panfish style hooks" ??

panfish will hit a fly whether it tied on a dry fly hook, wet fly hook streamer hook etc etc etc

i tie sponge spiders on size 8 dry fly hooks and they have no problems inhaling the fly

Mustad Signature R50 standard dry fly hooks:

size 12 wire diameter is 0.59mm

size 14 wire diameter is 0.50mm

measured behind the eye before the forged shank begins. Avg repeated 4 hooks @ 3 measurements per hook.

Wow JS!

Above and beyond! That's exactly what I needed! Now I know it's flotable, of course whether it'll catch is a whole 'nother issue, lol...

Thanks so much, now I can go ahead and order them, as they are "in the area" so to speak!

:headbang:

Craig