Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
AlanYuodsnukis

Signature Series Intruder - Yellow Perch Flavored

I spend much of my on water time swinging wakers and wets with a spey rod for smallmouths. When I'm not doing well on top, or I just want a change of pace, this pattern is a consistent producer, aesthetically pleasing (to me, anyway), and fun to tie. Enjoy!

100_0718.jpg

is that on a hook or a waddington shank

Good eye...I did tie it on a shank. I particularly like a waddington for this pattern because the rear "eye" holds a junction tube nicely. I tie one end of my tippet to a short shank hook and run the tippet through a short piece of junction tubing. The eye of the hook gets jammed into the back end of the tubing, and the front end of the tubing slips over the back "eye" of the waddington. The tippet gets threaded between the wing hackles and then the front eye of the fly, and is attached to the leader with a surgeon's knot. I like being able to alter my hook selection with these flies; I fish them with everything from 2/0 circle hooks for stripers to size 4 glo-bug hooks for smallmouths.

Although the fly's originator calls for ostrich hackle for the tail and collar, I use marabou because it's cheaper and available in more colors.

should think about tubes instead of the waddington shank maybe

you can tie different tails on the hook then attach to the hook to the tube

also if you leave room at the front of the tube you can slip on a cone head if you need some extra weight

adaptability is the key