Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
navigator37

Making money on flies?

Hi all.

I had an idea this fall to tie up some ice fishing flies to see if I could sell any

over winter from my home. Local people could just drop by and pick what boxes of flies they liked.

I figure if it takes off, I could maybe pay for some of my gas over winter and such.

Problem is actually making money off them.

They come in a foam lined wooden box, 14 in each in different varieties.

Alot of the jigs at stores are the same thing you always see, so I'm hoping I might have some luck

in this temporary venture. I know these work from experience.

If you were an ice fisherman, what would you pay for a box of flies?

post-18146-1288757270_thumb.jpg

post-18146-1288757281_thumb.jpg

Guest Big E
Hi all.

I had an idea this fall to tie up some ice fishing flies to see if I could sell any

over winter from my home. Local people could just drop by and pick what boxes of flies they liked.

I figure if it takes off, I could maybe pay for some of my gas over winter and such.

Problem is actually making money off them.

They come in a foam lined wooden box, 14 in each in different varieties.

Alot of the jigs at stores are the same thing you always see, so I'm hoping I might have some luck

in this temporary venture. I know these work from experience.

If you were an ice fisherman, what would you pay for a box of flies?

I used to ice fish pretty heavy and I tie flies. I've often thought about it but I always had my Genz Worms (go to jig) so never bothered. IMO ice fisherman go for what works and don't try much outside the box. They also want cheap and space concious...I would say the wooden box (while nice) would be of zero value to most ice fisherman as they already have their jig boxes that fit nicely inside their tackle box.

Your flies are attractive and appear neatly-tyed. If I needed flies for ice-fishing I would pay maybe $0.70 to $0.90 each for flies like these. (Last time I went ice-fishing I used an eyeball from the last fish I caught as bait. Of course, that was before I discovered fly-fishing.)

Your flies are great . I would package them as economicly as possible though so that the fishermen are paying for your flies and not the packaging. I would also check with local baitshops and tackle stores about selling your flies on consignment. Sorry I can't help with the pricing . There's not much ice fishing down here but I saw your flies and wanted to tell you what a nice job you did on them.

Fred

they are very nicely tied indeed.....Maybe besides ice fishing...you can sell them as crappie or panfish flies...just because they are weighted or tied on jug heads doesn't mean they aren't flies.....nice work

Thanks for the comments and advice.

The packaging is simple. The boxes cost 1$ a peice from the Dollar Store.

Slices of foam to line them, 20 cents.

If no one buys them, I'll use them for perch fishing this summer

under a strike indicator. Lethal...especially the bright orange tiger tail

ones.

Your flies are attractive and appear neatly-tyed. If I needed flies for ice-fishing I would pay maybe $0.70 to $0.90 each for flies like these. (Last time I went ice-fishing I used an eyeball from the last fish I caught as bait. Of course, that was before I discovered fly-fishing.)

i use a fly for ice fishing that i supposed to look like a fish eye.

it is tied with lots of lead wire, pink and white rabbit dubbing, and a google eye.

How much do the ice fishermen pay for the jigs at the store ? You probably can't expect that they would be willing to pay much more than that.