Fly Tying
breambuster

Bluegill Swap: Your Favorite Bluegill Fly

I know what you mean...seems like the harder you try the more thumbs you grow. I have been tying congo minnows and had to take a few days off before I tossed the vice through the window :bugeyes:

I had to go outside and pick up the vice

Bolt your vice to the table. It's harder to throw that way.

But then I'd have to pick up the vise, the table, and get a window replaced

My flies will go out tomorrow. I must say that I am really disappointed in my flies. Who would have thought that a cone head wooly bugger with legs would be so damn difficult. :wallbash: I have made like 25 of them and I am just not pleased with how they look. I seem to be stuck in a rut with them and the more I do or the harder I try the worse they get. WTH???? I am going to make a few more and call it quits. The wife has already yelled at me as my hackle pliers and other misc tools went flying across the room. So.....I am sorry for my crappy flies you will be receiving and I am mighty embarrassed with my showing in this swap! Again....sorry.

Look on the bright side, Smokinprice. They can't be ANYWHERE NEAR as bad as the black foam crickets I tried to tie up for this one. They were so bad, I abandoned the whole idea and went back to a pattern I KNOW I can tie. Thanks for participating. I'm sure your flies will be fine. I'll let you know when they arrive.

I'm still looking for Habanero!!! Hab, if you're out there, I REALLY need to hear something from you soon. The last time he visted the site was Nov 30, and no word since. He did tell me on the 17th that his flies were finished and ready to go in the mail, but, so far, I haven't received them.

Take care

BB

My flies will go out tomorrow. I must say that I am really disappointed in my flies. Who would have thought that a cone head wooly bugger with legs would be so damn difficult. :wallbash: I have made like 25 of them and I am just not pleased with how they look. I seem to be stuck in a rut with them and the more I do or the harder I try the worse they get. WTH???? I am going to make a few more and call it quits. The wife has already yelled at me as my hackle pliers and other misc tools went flying across the room. So.....I am sorry for my crappy flies you will be receiving and I am mighty embarrassed with my showing in this swap! Again....sorry.

IF they are that bad just remember: this is a Bluegill swap....sometimes the uglier the better! :smoke:

I received 2 more sets of flies today, and they are both GREAT! The first set that I received, and that I was very relieved to get, was from Habanero! These are VERY nice! Great work, Habanero!

The second set was from NJ All Day, and they are another EXCELLENT set of flies. It's a pattern I've looked at several times & never attempted. But now that I've seen some "in person" if you will, I'm going to have to get busy and tie up some more. And thanks, NJ, for the extras! What do you call the orange one with all the rubber legs? Very nice fly!

There are only 2 more sets out. Smokinprice and Nealbo both are hoping to get there flies in the mail to me today. So I should have them by the end of the week. I'll let you guys know when they arrive, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to do a quick turn-around as far as getting them back in the mail to everyone.

On a final note, I have opened a new swap, called "Terrestrials!!!" I'm hoping to learn some new patterns. If any of you are interested, I'd more more than happy to have you get in on it. Just let me know or post to the thread. There's still several spots open.

Take care

BB

BB they went in the mail today. The USPS did not pick up the mail Friday.

They should be there hopeful Thursday. Thanks for hosting the swap.

Thanks, Nealbo. I'll let you know when they arrive. Thanks for joining this swap. Always glad to have the chance to swap with you.

Take care

BB

Glad you liked them BB if your talking about the Orange fly with beadchain eyes and legs all around. Then that is a pattern I thought of this year for gills. I originally tied it for Deeky's two step swap with some mystery material, but I ran out of the body material so I tied it with some STS Trilobal orange in a dubbing loop.

to put the legs on, I just tied the loop up to about 1/8 inch from the eyes. Then tie the legs on top and then pull them down and tie them down. Tie rest of fly then trim the legs.

Mine were supposed to go out yesterday but I was very sick. I had an attack of diverticulitis. for those that dont know, basically I have several small holes in my colon that sometimes get infected. After I posted my response on Sunday within hours I was down for the count. I have narrowly missied being hospitalized for now. I finished the last fly today and the wife shoudl mail them tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

Hi Smokin, no problem on the flies being a day or two late. I'm just glad that you're doing better. Sorry to hear that you've been sick. Please stay well and stay out of the hospital. Your condition is not nice. I've been around lots of people who have it, and I feel for you.

I'll let you know when they get here.

Take care of yourself.

BB

IF they are that bad just remember: this is a Bluegill swap....sometimes the uglier the better! :smoke:

Thanks man. I am a very big type A person so I have to be the best at everything I do and get frustrated when I dont do well. Just me. I know they will catch gills but no self respecting trout will every bite on them!

That's completely out of hand when some of you fellas are throwing your beloved vises and tools around -- sit back, take a deep breath . . . and spot something else to throw. :lol:

-- Mike

Nealbo's flies arrived today & they are his usual top quality! Thanks for the extras.

Only one more set out, and they should be here in the next day or two. I'll turn them around and get them back out to everyone ASAP.

Thanks for a GREAT swap, everyone.

Take care

BB