Fly Tying
flyfishing99

My Spun Deer Hair Hackle System

Hi,

I was told that I only use this forum to spam about my blogspot, but that really isn't the case.

Wonder what you think of my method of spinning deer hair to form a hackle. This fly, if I get a photo up, is to imitate an emerged flav. Also trying to post a photo of it floating in a tupperware dish. Note the change in color of the dubbing once wet. Granted, the color on my pictures is not 100% due to lighting, but it is worth remembering that wet dubbing tends to "darken" when wet.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

post-29215-1289951693_thumb.jpg

post-29215-1289952024_thumb.jpg

post-29215-1289953095_thumb.jpg

post-29215-1289953900_thumb.jpg

By "my method" I assume you mean "my attempt" because the technique has been around for some time (I've no idea who first used it).

Nice tie. I'm curious why you think you should bother with this on smaller flies. Either hackle or a comparadun-style wing would work just as well, IMHO (and in the Comparadun's case, perhaps even better). On larger patterns, I can see where this method might be more useful, but I only rarely tie dries larger than #14, so it has not been an approached I've ever explored.

By "my method" I assume you mean "my attempt" because the technique has been around for some time (I've no idea who first used it).

Nice tie. I'm curious why you think you should bother with this on smaller flies. Either hackle or a comparadun-style wing would work just as well, IMHO (and in the Comparadun's case, perhaps even better). On larger patterns, I can see where this method might be more useful, but I only rarely tie dries larger than #14, so it has not been an approached I've ever explored.

Hadn't seen it elsewhere. Where might I see others??

The reason I think it is worthwhile is because you can adjust such "made" hackle any size by just placing the deer hair "shorter" in the dubbing loop. If you are tying while on a fishing trip you don't need to take a number of sized hackle with you.

I do like the comparaduns as well. Try these for variety!!!!

The reason I think it is worthwhile is because you can adjust such "made" hackle any size by just placing the deer hair "shorter" in the dubbing loop. If you are tying while on a fishing trip you don't need to take a number of sized hackle with you.

I do like the comparaduns as well. Try these for variety!!!!

This is a photo by Hans Weilenmann. It shows one of these first hackled with spun deer hair and then with spun cdc fibers. I dressed it sort of swept back.

post-29215-1289959808_thumb.jpg

This book dealing solely with Hair Hackle Techniques was published in 2001 and explains that the making and use of hair hackle is very old.

Hair-Hackle Tying Techniques & Fly Patterns, by Gordon Mackenzie

http://www.amatobooks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc...;Category_Code=

Thanks. Do you happen to know a site that shows photos of the technique on dry flies?

Would appreciate it

Have been using this metod for klinkhammer variant.

The deer hair makes a good impresion of legs, by the simple fact that is more unequal after you spinn it on a dubbing loop

Have to put a photo , that makes more than 1000 words :rolleyes:

The deer hair makes a good impresion of legs, by the simple fact that is more unequal after you spin it on a dubbing loop

MarianC,

A little like this? I used squirrel hair in this pattern, but the effect is similar to deer hair.

the_hair_witch_project.jpg

The Hair Witch Project

Cheers,

Hans W

Yeah this technique is fairly well known, Marc Petitjean even produces his Magic Tools to help in the process. His site has some very good videos of how to use the tool which gives a great step by step of exactly how to do it.

He's using to tie a caddis wing in the video but you could easily tie a conventional hackle wing the exact same manner.

The deer hair makes a good impresion of legs, by the simple fact that is more unequal after you spin it on a dubbing loop

MarianC,

A little like this? I used squirrel hair in this pattern, but the effect is similar to deer hair.

the_hair_witch_project.jpg

The Hair Witch Project

Cheers,

Hans W

yeap ;)

With dear hair, you have some advantages:

it is hollow fiber, so it floats better

if you let the fiber just a littel bit longer, the flie, will seat deeper in the water surface.

Hans, try this, make a klinkhammer, and make the hackle with deer hair, after you finish it put it in a glass of water, and gentely try to push it down. you will see the efect that I m talking about

plus, the base of the hackle traps small bubbles of air, that is verry atractive to the fish.

Or put the smallest amount of Uv dubbing in the loop with the deer hair

If you have allready done this, ignore the post above :lol:

these ar the flies

Tied on a Gamakatsu G-code F22 size 14 and size 16

171120101028.jpg

Hass Hans van Klinken says, use polypropeline yarn, it traps more floating gel

Hope you find anything good in this flies

One thing, Deer hair is not great for fast waters.

Great for trout to, but tied with Pheasant tail fibers, and small cooper wire for ribbing

Try here for a set of all-hair flies tied by Sven Ostermann, which I added to Flytier's Page in 2001:

http://www.danica.com/flytier/sostermann/sostermann.htm

A sample:

rdh_danica.jpg

Cheers,

Hans W

I really like this one. I love the extended body. Is that deer hair also? Looks very buggy and realistic (in an impressionistic way LOL)

I really like this one. I love the extended body. Is that deer hair also? Looks very buggy and realistic (in an impressionistic way LOL)

Bryan,

Follow the earlier link, click on the thumbnail and the recipe is there.

Cheers,

Hans W

Bryan,

Follow the earlier link, click on the thumbnail and the recipe is there.

Cheers,

Hans W

Bookmarked it thanks for the link! :headbang: