Fly Tying
troutguy

Traditional Catskill Dry Flies

To give people an idea about mailing. I received Boynabubble's flies today. They were mailed from South Dakota on 12/09/2010 via First Class. I send First Class mail except if I am mailing the last week of the swap then it is Priority. It is just courtesy to the Swap Meister and the others.

I agree with Bob that delivery confirmation is a good idea. Our post office in Rock Hill is challenged. Probably rode the short bus to school or are presently SMWD (sorting mail while drinking).

Boynabubble your flies are really nice.

:scared:

Thanks for the mailing info guys, I'll start adding the mailing confirmation on all my packages from here on out. The reason for asking is that I am also in the Ray Bergman Swap and I mailed my flies out on Tue. the 7th and still have not heard yet that they were received. They were going from PA to ID. Would hate to have to tie all these flies all over again, but I don't have much trust in the postal service. I might have to tie up a set of backups this week to cover myself If I don't here from the other sweipmeister by Tue. or Wed. of next week. Hopefully it is only a slight delay because of the holidays. I even added some extra postage to them to cover myself, figured beter safe than sorry! Thanks again for the info.

flytyman1

Wow! I'm surprised they got there so fast! I'm in on breambusters's bluegill swap and he received them in a couple days also. It's strange to me that some post offices get things shipped half way across the country in a couple days while others take a week to ship things half way across the state. :blink:

Two more sets came yesterday.

Bob very nice extras. Thank you for the card as well. Your flies are great. Always a pleasure to be in a swap with you. Flyman1 the Housatonics are very nice. Kind of like a Gordon meets a red quill. Interesting tie. Both of you tie great flies.

Two more sets came yesterday.

Bob very nice extras. Thank you for the card as well. Your flies are great. Always a pleasure to be in a swap with you. Flyman1 the Housatonics are very nice. Kind of like a Gordon meets a red quill. Interesting tie. Both of you tie great flies.

Thanks for the update. Was there any taco sauce on the envelope? :hyst:

I won't respond to that. What you and you Mexican cartel do with hot sauce in the privacy of your home is your business.

You are probably on some Mexican hot sauce watch list. During the first swap I ran there were two Canadians on it. When I went to the post office I cringed because of the trouble I had that time with your swap. I filled out the forms, mailed their flies to Canada without any trouble. Why they gave me such a hard time about pre-buying postage for you in CA I will never know. There are some strange people working at our post office though. A couple of years ago I received a note in my mailbox that they were unable to deliver a box and I had to pick it up in person. I went to the PO and was told it was damaged and they wanted me to inspect it. They gave me a box that had tire tracks on it and the corner was crushed in and the contents were damaged. Their story was someone else, not them (big truck tire prints on box) ran over the box in their loading area, but it certainly wasn't them. They said sorry and did not want to pay for the contents.

:hyst:

I won't respond to that. What you and you Mexican cartel do with hot sauce in the privacy of your home is your business.

You are probably on some Mexican hot sauce watch list. During the first swap I ran there were two Canadians on it. When I went to the post office I cringed because of the trouble I had that time with your swap. I filled out the forms, mailed their flies to Canada without any trouble. Why they gave me such a hard time about pre-buying postage for you in CA I will never know. There are some strange people working at our post office though. A couple of years ago I received a note in my mailbox that they were unable to deliver a box and I had to pick it up in person. I went to the PO and was told it was damaged and they wanted me to inspect it. They gave me a box that had tire tracks on it and the corner was crushed in and the contents were damaged. Their story was someone else, not them (big truck tire prints on box) ran over the box in their loading area, but it certainly wasn't them. They said sorry and did not want to pay for the contents.

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Postal worker arrested after delivering mail naked

Associated Press

WHITEFISH BAY, Wis. --

A Wisconsin postal carrier says he simply wanted to cheer up a woman on his rounds who seemed "stressed out" when he decided to deliver mail in the buff. But upon further review, the worker told police that delivering mail while completely naked probably wasn't a good idea.

A police report says the 52-year-old man told the woman he would deliver the mail in the nude to her office in Whitefish Bay to make her laugh. The report says that on Dec. 4 he brought the mail wearing only a smile.

The mail carrier was arrested for lewd and lascivious behavior several days later. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel says the man admitted delivering the mail naked was a stupid thing to do.

Read more: http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/12/14/268...r#ixzz18BVkPbhL

Bob did your postman transfer , your countless swaps and mailings push him over the edge?

OK warts and all here's my first attempt at a Catskill dry :boxed:

Couple of firsts for me here, Catskill dry, split wing, floss body and palmered abdomen. HELLLLP :wallbash:

I don't have long enough tailing material in the dk ginger hackle so I used a light coq de leon, I thought about making the palmered hackle light ginger to balance the fly. I know that probably breaks the rules a bit and was wondering what you think? The hackle in the second pic isn't the greatest but I included it as a comparison for the palmer hackle colour.

5299764770_9ee0073587_b.jpg

5299764772_b62a641e6f_b.jpg

It looks like a "Catskill". Nice fly. Looks better than the ones I see when I google Catskill Fly. Can't wait for them to make the trip. Your head space to hook eye is perfect. Dave Brandt would be proud.

It looks like a "Catskill". Nice fly. Looks better than the ones I see when I google Catskill Fly. Can't wait for them to make the trip. Your head space to hook eye is perfect. Dave Brandt would be proud.

Thanks troutguy, glad you like them, they have a way to go. I'm going to finish them today and have them off to you either today or latest by tomorrow.

I'll try the DK ginger hackle again to stay faithful to the original but might end up going with the LT ginger. It's been fun having a go at this and challenging, something I look forward to continuing with after the swap. Thanks for letting me take part I would have had these off to you sooner but have been waiting on the partridge flank for wings.

Karsten

There kind of isn't a faithful to the original. Some just say ginger others use mallard for wing and tails. Most often in the wet version it is the mallard on both.

I have a neck that is full of spider hackle, so I am going to do the Neversink Skater.

They were too easy, so I have tied up a second fly, the Dunham.