Fly Tying
bob2935

Renzeti Master Vise as Compared to the Barracuda?

Was wondering if fellow tiers could compare the Renzeti Master vise the Dyna King Barracuda. Presently own the Master and really do not like it in part because I mainly tie small dries and nymphs commercially and it always feels cramped when I am working from the back of the hook. Does the standard Barracuda seem to be less confined when working on the back section of the hook. Is buying the Barracuda self-defeating because it has the same problem. Any other opinions on either vise would be appreciated.

Thanks Bohemian Bob

It does have more room. But I think Rens jaws are better quality. Dyna's new steel is softer thus the reason for the change in there warranty. They only offer a 2 year warranty on them now.

I think Day5 is spot on in his assessment of the soft jaws on the DK. One my new Barracuda, if the hook doesn't fit in the jaw grooves, it doesn't stay. My early '90's Professional holds tight.

I'd give up "true" rotary for tying trout flies, and maybe look at a Regal.

I think Day5 is spot on in his assessment of the soft jaws on the DK. One my new Barracuda, if the hook doesn't fit in the jaw grooves, it doesn't stay. My early '90's Professional holds tight.

Do yourself a favor and get a jvice. Look at jvice.com. Get the pro jaws. Room galore

I would second the motion for a Regal. I love my Medallion - rock-solid hook hold and no muss and fuss.

Was wondering if fellow tiers could compare the Renzeti Master vise the Dyna King Barracuda. Presently own the Master and really do not like it in part because I mainly tie small dries and nymphs commercially and it always feels cramped when I am working from the back of the hook. Does the standard Barracuda seem to be less confined when working on the back section of the hook. Is buying the Barracuda self-defeating because it has the same problem. Any other opinions on either vise would be appreciated.

Thanks Bohemian Bob

I thinks the best vise for small flies is the HMH with the micro jaws. They are the best small jaws on the market. Plenty of room.

I have the HMH and the Barracuda and generally use the Barracuda for the larger stuff and the HMH with the micro jaws for the little stuff. In fact, when I ordered the HMH from Day5 I got it with only the micro jaws. Check out the pictures of the micro jaws on their web site.

Dave

I also tie flies professionally and I own a couple of Vises (I collect them) including the Master Vise and the Barracuda. To be able to use the master I add to alter the jaws with the help of a Dremel tool:

Now I can tie XL flies (very seldom)

post-17812-1292914398_thumb.jpg

post-17812-1292915469_thumb.jpg

and extra small #24

post-17812-1292914517_thumb.jpg

and upside down

post-17812-1292915103_thumb.jpg

Both vises are too cumbersome for my character (particularly the Barracuda)

Now I use a Lawrennce vise!

post-17812-1292914124_thumb.jpg

I use a Barracuda Jr and have had no problems with the jaws. The steel on my jaws are not soft.

FishHawk

How old is it?

Thanks Guys for all the great ideas. The traditional vise position works best for me. I already own a HMH, which I love but the cam system seems to need occasional readjustment, which you would never care about unless you tied commercially. I do have the Regal which is a great vise for pro tying and that gets it’s share of use but for some reason I like my Dyna King Pro and Supreme. I was going though a set of jaws or two a year with them until I figured out how to make the jaws’ hold better. It’s kind of pathetic that this dawned on me after tying thousands of flies. What I used to do regarding locking down the hooks was to set the collar in a fashion that the vise would click onto the hook. I assumed that was the best way to use the vise. Now I adjust the collar so that the jaws click onto the hook and I still have more play to draw the handle down more. After the click I now adjusted the vise so I more the handle at least an inch further which really secures the hook. It’s amazing the results I have had. There is no more hook slippage at all. For the first time in years I find my Dyna King Pro and Supreme really do hold the hook well. Have at least eight midge and standard jaws that I considered worn down that now hold the hook like a new set of jaws. Hope what I’m saying makes sense. Wondering if you have to do the same thing with the Dyan King Barracuda jaws as a way to get a more secure fit. Hardly ever use the notches in the jaws because I tend to make smaller patterns. Thanks again for all the great ideas.

BohemianBob at [email protected]