Fly Tying
HuffleHill

Fly vise advice

My friend got me into tying this year and has loaned me a bunch of his older equipment to get me started.

Been using a very simple vise that he loaned me (he uses a reaaal nice Regal now).

I am looking to upgrade and am wondering if anyone has used the J Stockard value series vise that I guess is the knock off of the Regal. If so, thoughts? I know its alot cheaper but is it still a good vise and at least somewhat durable?

Thanks for the input,

Greg

Hey,

I haven't used the J. Stockard stuff before. I have used their hooks and love them. As for that "old stuff" I will sell it to ya at a reasonable rate! :hyst:

Nobody's said this yet, so I will. Get the best vise you can afford. It may set you back over $200, but it is well worth it. Vises are not throw away tools, and a good quality vise will last you the rest of your life.

i agree wit the above statement. Find one with a good warrenty and one that feels comfortable to you.

Despite the fact that this "old stuff" is mine I would agree with Mr. Vegas. Get the best thing you can afford right now but make sure you will stick with it first.

and it did ok.

OK would frustrate me. agree with above save up buy a good vise with a good warranty.

and it did ok.

OK would frustrate me. agree with above save up buy a good vise with a good warranty.

I'm not so sure about the conventional wisdom of "buy the best vise you can afford". Many people start something like fly tying, buy expensive equipment, then after a year or two move on to something else.

You have to know yourself. If you're not someone who tries something and then moves on, that's fine. I'm not.

If you're like me, there are some very good vises for $75-$150 that do a great job. I have the Griffin Odyssey Spider, which was less than $100. It's worked very well for the past year, and I wouldn't trade it. It does a great job so I don't feel any need to go out an upgrade soon.

And I don't think I'll quit tying anytime soon.... :D

I said OK as to it would work for a beginner, although I'm not. It held the hook well, it did not rotate, and that's what I thought I needed, which I use very seldom now. My thinking on buying the best is ok if you are going to stick with it. My suggestion is buy a vise for under $100.00 then up grade. You can sell or donate the first vise if you want. Another suggestion is get a non rotating vise and learn the basics on it. I still have my Thompson "A" vise and still use it from time to time. I got that vise in '73 and it has tied hundreds and hundreds of flies. I would venture a guess that there have been more flies tied on a Thompson "A" then any other. There were two sets of jaws available regular and midge both worked well.

I have the JStockard vise you are talking about. It is built like a brick, and has the fit and finish of a brick too. It holds all the hooks I've tried in it very well. It holds a hook, which is what it is supposed to do. I bought it as a learning vise for my son because I could tell he didn't like adjusting tension for every different size hook. I do not prefer that style vise, I much prefer cam vises like my Peak and HMH. For the money, it is a pretty darn solid and strong vise.

I have the JStockard vise you are talking about. It is built like a brick, and has the fit and finish of a brick too. It holds all the hooks I've tried in it very well. It holds a hook, which is what it is supposed to do. I bought it as a learning vise for my son because I could tell he didn't like adjusting tension for every different size hook. I do not prefer that style vise, I much prefer cam vises like my Peak and HMH. For the money, it is a pretty darn solid and strong vise.

I have that same vise in the Bass Pro version, just purchased after Christmas. It is solid and grips the hook very firmly. The overall fit and finish is typical imported level, rough polished. The rotation lock and rotation shaft and sleeve are rough and are OK for turning the fly over to see the underside but I would not try and use it as a true rotating vise, it is much too rough and grabby when rotated for that.

Overall for $30 I think you get your money's worth. I have seen some comments of people using that vise for years.

After reading some of the potential issues with the Regal type of vises, but really liking this type of jaws not needing any fiddly adjusting, I decided to order a real Regal with the stainless jaws. Now I can't wait for it to be delivered.

Hi to everyone,

I'm very new to this site here. I'm almost ready to get a new vise. Where would one go to get one? Any ideas? Where is the best place that a person can go for good service and good prices? I've seen so many that my head is spinning. While we are on the subject, how's HMH and Dyna-King? Which do you all prefer?

David Shubin

HMH lifetime guarantee for anything. One of the only true lifetime vises and dyna king has a good warranty but does not touch HMH's. HMH does not have a true rotarty vise but I never really needed that function but you might. If you are choosing between the two I would suggest maybe going to a FFF meeting or a show where you can play with both and see what fits you. You might even find another one that is more confortable