Fly Tying
HuffleHill

Fly vise advice

...um, Renzetti may be a name of Italian origin, but it's an American family, and their products are made here in the USA.

Also, Renzetti has the new Apprentice vise for $99 that is an entry level C-clamp vise with can action, adjustable head angle, and does rotate 360, but is not a true rotary like their others.

Nice vise PHG now i guess ill have to toss a coin...

Thanks PHG

Another option is to check out the used forums and ask around any fly shops in the area for vices that people are selling. I know my first "nice" vice I ever got was a Regal from a guy working at a fly shop that was upgrading to Renzetti or Dyna King. This was about 15 years ago for me. I got it for $95 and it has tied me 1000s of flies along with several thousand bass fishing jigs. Although I love this vice and continue to use it today I also wanted to experiement and ended up purchasing a Peak Vice (which goes for about $150 and is an American made vice too I believe!) and it has been a terrific rotary vice! I now tie most of my flies on this and leave the Regal to my bass fishing jigs.

Hope this helps!

Todd

After much internet browsing I'm now drooling over the Griffin Patriot Cam vise - think I've decided this is the one I want. With a fly tying desk in the living room as a Christmas present I need a pedastal base unit - I like that this one comes with both. Its not a true rotary but I dno't need that function anyway.

Anyone use this vise? Comments, complaints?

Of course at its price, now means I have to save up but....

THanks

Greg

After much internet browsing I'm now drooling over the Griffin Patriot Cam vise - think I've decided this is the one I want. With a fly tying desk in the living room as a Christmas present I need a pedastal base unit - I like that this one comes with both. Its not a true rotary but I dno't need that function anyway.

Anyone use this vise? Comments, complaints?

Of course at its price, now means I have to save up but....

THanks

Greg

A buddy of mine, who has tied at international sportsman and local fly shop expos and is a very good, versatile tyer, has been tying on one for years. He mostly ties saltwater flies, bass bugs, and freshwater streamers from about size 6 and up. He loves it and does not intend to ever replace it. He says it's solid and more vise than he will ever need.

-- Mike

You could find one of the Patriot vises on Ebay for a good price.

I'm sorry to say with vises you get what you pay for, I've got a Regal Medallion that's still going strong after 25 years

I am new to tying and need the same advise. I see that there is a couple of different trains of thought on this topic. For me I am looking for a vise under $100 that will hold up for at least a year and that will put up with a clod who is heavy handed while learning. I am not worried about wasting $100 or less. Education always costs one way or another and I am willing to spend a little to find out what I like, don't like, need and do not need. I waste $100 on drinks and poker in a night with out blinking so buying a vise that will only last a year or two seems like a cheap investment. Heck I spend way more than that every year just buying flies right now. I have never tied before, but I have been fly fishing for 10 years. I just do not know what I will like or what I will need yet and I do not want to spend a ton of money for things I may not need when something simpler might work. This is why I am looking at spending a little for now and upgrade when I decide what is important.

All the advice so far is great and I have read over it very carefully. I would just like to narrow it down a bit.

I want a sturdy vise with a few features that will hold up till I understand what it is, that is important to me. Where would you start? I have $100 to spend on a vise. What do you guys think of the Danvise?

I have been tying on a kit vise for a couple of months now and am wanting to upgrade vises. I have been looking at all of the vise information on the internet and have narrowed it down to HMH spartan or HMH Standard. Is there that much of difference between the HMH spartan and standard to justify the price for a novice? If I can find one used or on sale I will be set. I appreciate the information that you guys have provided on my new found addiction.

here is suggestion. look for a used vise. lots of people get into tying and soon get bored the sell cheap. no need to buy new

Yea, been looking on ebay but so far no luck....still drooling

Buy a Regal medallion. The rest is just a bunch of hoopla. IF you buy from stockard you points for other goodies :yahoo:

I will warn you with pedestals. A clap is a much more stable set up. There are not many that are heavy enough to not move or shift when tying.

You already have a "old vice" so this is your upgrade. The vice should last a lifetime, If it doesn't, you got hoopla.

Just my .02.