Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
perchjerker

Pencil Poppers

Charlie had a very delicate touch when it came to putting the bodies up to the bandsaw blade to cut the hook grooves, and he devoted his full attention to what he was doing.

I either use my coping saw or a fine-toothed Xacto saw---All Armstrong models!

It sure wouldn't hurt anything to put some bucktail on one of them. Might make them the-bug-of-the-year! Would love to see s pic. of one.

perchjerker

Is the diver something you have been making for some time,or is it new?

I made my first ones more than 10 years ago. I don't recall the exact year. Just did it on a whim one day, and liked their action; so, made more.

perchjerker

I am making these pencil poppers at 2 inches in length, but having a hard time finding the bronze hook to fit them. I need a 2 & 1/4 inch shank hook (or enough space to tie in a tail), but what size is that? Is it 1/0 4x or something like that? Type of hook, Mustad? Any help here would be much appreciated.

You can also use the foil from the Hershey kisses. They have all kinds of colors depending on what holiday is around the corner and of course gold and silver.

The secret is in getting a very thin aluminum foil. The foil sold for wrapping baking potatoes comes in gold as well as the 'silver' color of the aluminum. Margretann, you must have the patience of Job to smooth out all of the wrinkles is a KISSES wrapper to make them useful. Also, I am not sure that the little squares would be large enough for the larger poppers. (Wonder if Hershey would sell small packs of 'unused' wrappers?)

If you are looking for thin foil go to hobby lobby or michael's and go to the candy making isle and buy candy makers foil. I think the name is wilton's candy wrappers they come 50 to a pack and you can get them in silver gold and I believe red. They are about the same thickness as a hershey kiss or baking potato foil. This is what I use to make my foil poppers. Each sheet measures 4x4 inches. Hope this helps. BF

In re-reading the thread, I realized that I never answered the hook question. The 8X long steamer hooks that are used to tie Maine salmon streamers, such as Joe's Smelt, on are great, as are the ring-eyed stainless steel 8X long hooks. I got my stock of the SS hooks from my mentor, Charlie Cypert, and they were 'loose', as opposed to being boxed or packaged(he bought them in boxes of 1000). Thus, I have no real info on them.

SORRY!

PS: Thanks for the tip on candy wrappers.

Great looking poppers perchjerker! I love the diver! I was thinking of hitting the face of one with a rat tail file and making a chugger.

For hooks, I have been using the Wapsi Lightning Strike 2/0 saltwater popper hooks. They have great shank length for pencil poppers, a good wide hook gape for big bass and a great finish. And I did what bigfoot suggested for foil, went to the craft store. They have more than just silver and gold foil to.

Below is one I did. I think I may need to thin out the body a bit. But not bad for my first one I guess.

pencilpoper.jpg

VERY NICE!! To make it a diver, all you need to do is cut the hook channel on the opposite side of your blank; leaving the face sloping up and backwards from the hook eye.

What did you use to glue the foil on with? Did you make the blanks yourself, and is it balsa? I ask these questions as, at east in the photo, the scale embossing does not appear to be all that distinct.

As our waters typically have very dense populations of shad, both thread-fin and gizzard, I usually put the black shoulder spot on mine to mimick that on the shad themselves.

Regards!

I used rubber cement for the glue and Balsa for the body (sharpened in a pencil sharpener). I think my problem with the scales is my tool. For this one I used the handle of a socket wrench and the knurling was not as sharp as I would have liked. I have since found a better tool for the job. What did you use? Like I said, it was my first attempt so I do appreciate any pointers.

I fish them mostly in lakes Erie, Ontario and the Niagara River. Not many shad, except in lake Ontario. Common minnows and shiners, some smelt. After seeing yours though, you can bet I will put the dot on a few for Ontario.