Fly Tying
Mice

D Spey

Really good looking fly, colors and material combination is great. I've had these on my to-do list for years but never have gotten around to it. I just know the redfish and bass would love to be fed one of these.

I've got to do a search to find a good source of instruction for tying a spey.

Kirk

Kirk, spey hackle - no problem. You can use fur twisted in dubbing loop. Mohair, schlappen. ringeck pheasant rump feather, hen and cock with long fibers to small flies.

This is body. I used my dog underfur (?) . :) Front hackle - teal, gadwall, woodduck and flat wing. That's all. Simple spey finished. :)

post-8698-1294698201_thumb.jpg

post-8698-1294698222_thumb.jpg

Nicely done. Did you happen to get her wet yet? It must look delicious.

I threw it into the water. It is better than I thought. It will be good for slow water, I think.

Good ideas Paul. After I made my second reply, I scrolled back up to look at your beautiful spey and noticed that you had pheasant for the topping and what looks like some duck flank and other feathers and dubbing and underwing not typical of the spey flies in the demonstrations. However, yours still has that graceful sweeping, flowing appearance of a traditional spey but I would say you are very creative with your use of materials for your D Spey.

Kirk

Nice dressing ! I remember a pattern a fellow fisher way back in the day- (70's) used to tye an fish called a "Mover" he used more olive tones though, anyway, this kind of reminded me of that pattern with all the guinea. Again, nice bug !