Fly Tying
cruzfly89

allen fly co.

I received my hooks from Allen Fly Fishing today and thought I would leave some feedback. Overall I'm impressed with the quality and strength of the hooks for the price. The 100 style hooks are spot on with Tiemco's in all the sizes that I ordered (12-20). The #14 200Rs are the same style as Tiemco's, but they are about 2 hook eyes length longer than Tiemco's #14, so you might want to order AFF 16s to match TMCs 14s. Not really a big deal for me, with that size I'm tying attractor dries and stoneflies and exact size is not a real issue. I think the strength of the hooks is what impressed me most. I have tried Togen, but I'm almost afraid of hooking a large fish or a good one in current, because I'm not so sure the Togen hooks could hold up to that kind of pressure without straightening. Allen hooks are every bit as strong as TMC or Daiichi hooks. They are very comparable to Daiichi in their strength and flexibility.

I guess my only real gripe lies with the 2457s. The angle of the bend in the eye is pretty inconsistent from one hook to the next (size 18s). Some of the eyes were bent nearly 90 degrees while others were completely straight. The bend in the shank was so extreme on some of the hooks that the hook point nearly touches the hook eye. Fortunately, the hooks are strong, but not brittle and I could bend them back in shape without breaking the hook. I will definitely be ordering from Allen Fly Fishing again, although I'm not sure I'll be ordering their scud hooks again.

I got my hooks today. I like them but I have to disagree with them being spot on with TMC. Much like the Dai-riki hooks I think atleast for the 100's they seem to run about a hook size smaller. If your looking for 16's buy 14's. Other than that the hooks were nice and I will definitely order again. The only other small issue I had was that I received a 25 pack of what was supposed to be #16 drys and did not at all match the other 25 packs of #16's I received. They appear to be #16 wet hooks. Not a problem for me because I'll use them but as a quality control it might bother others.

I got my hooks today. I like them but I have to disagree with them being spot on with TMC. Much like the Dai-riki hooks I think atleast for the 100's they seem to run about a hook size smaller. If your looking for 16's buy 14's. Other than that the hooks were nice and I will definitely order again. The only other small issue I had was that I received a 25 pack of what was supposed to be #16 drys and did not at all match the other 25 packs of #16's I received. They appear to be #16 wet hooks. Not a problem for me because I'll use them but as a quality control it might bother others.

Here is a photo of the Allen 100s and TMC 100s. 16, 18, 20. Allens on top, TMC on the bottom. Other than the eye of the hook being slightly larger and the finish being a little brighter on the Allens, they are nearly identical. How do you consider these to be a hook size smaller? Maybe there was a mix up in the packaging of your order?

post-20827-1299250658_thumb.jpg

boynabubble, thanks for your review notes. I ordered a pack of 2457 earlier in the week, so maybe Justin can hold my order (if it's not already shipped) until the new batch of hooks come in.

In my opinion, the most important parts of any hook are 1) sharpness and 2) strength (or brittleness). So I'm glad to hear the Allen hooks aren't so brittle that you couldn't tweak the bend some. The 3rd priority for me is consistency of hook shape - I can work around a little inconsistency (and the fish won't notice).

Here is a photo of the Allen 100s and TMC 100s. 16, 18, 20. Allens on top, TMC on the bottom. Other than the eye of the hook being slightly larger and the finish being a little brighter on the Allens, they are nearly identical. How do you consider these to be a hook size smaller? Maybe there was a mix up in the packaging of your order?

Not that I think it matters to the fish, but the Allen hooks definitely look a little shorter in the photo. :thumbsup:

Not that I think it matters to the fish, but the Allen hooks definitely look a little shorter in the photo. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I will be adding several hooks and doing some changes on a few hooks that I have now. Needed to start somewhere and the most import thing was that people like the hooks. That seems to be going over very well. In the next 30 days there will be some great things being done with my hooks to compete with the other mfgs.

When the newer small hooks are done. I will be offering free hooks to try them out on FTF. I prefer sending a free sample out. No need to pay for them if your not 100% sure on them.

Thanks

Justin

The photograph should have been taken straight on and not at an angle. From what I see though, the hooks look to be the same size.

The photograph should have been taken straight on and not at an angle. From what I see though, the hooks look to be the same size.

Yes. Thanks. Rich is right. I did take them at an angle and it's the reason the top hook looks smaller. Sorry I didn't get a better photo up, but I had to get rid of the shadow and I didn't have time to play around and take a better one this morning.

Well, all I can say is I am impressed with both the quality and the price of these hooks. I am anxiously awaiting the new sizes as I have never tied on anything smaller than an 18...may have to get that new HMH vise as my !#$@$ Danvice doesn't do well on even a 16 much less those itty bittys...

Well, all I can say is I am impressed with both the quality and the price of these hooks. I am anxiously awaiting the new sizes as I have never tied on anything smaller than an 18...may have to get that new HMH vise as my !#$@$ Danvice doesn't do well on even a 16 much less those itty bittys...

You might want to find a pair of safety glasses before attempting an 18 in your Danvise. :boxed:

I received my order today and I am currently tying some Jujubee midges on the Allen 2488. I compared them to TMC 2488 size 16 and the hook is approx. a half size bigger. The size 16 Allen would be a size 15 (if that makes sense). The gauge of the wire is also heavier so I would consider the Allen 2488 to be more like a TMC 2488H. The hook eyes seem a little bigger as well which I don't see as a problem. Overall, I am very happy with my first order and will be ordering again in the future. The free fly box is freakin' great too. I have seen that box for $12 in the shops and it's free with a $25 purchase! And kudos to Justin for answering questions and replying to comments on our forum. Now that's great customer service!

BNB I'll have to revisit my hooks to see if I messed up some where. Your pic does seem to show them as near identical. As for the fly box my didn't come with the hooks so I'm guessing it will arrive separately. Its nice to have an extra box that can be filled and given away without having to drop an extra 20 bones.

BNB I'll have to revisit my hooks to see if I messed up some where. Your pic does seem to show them as near identical. As for the fly box my didn't come with the hooks so I'm guessing it will arrive separately. Its nice to have an extra box that can be filled and given away without having to drop an extra 20 bones.

Hello, Can you please send me a PM with your order info. There were 3 days of shipments that I needed to send the fly boxes a few days after. Just want to make sure on your order.

Thanks

I'd like to chime in here as well. As a beginner fly tyer I didn't have much to go on as far as hooks go. I have caught many large fish on heavier tackle but this year is my first at fly fishing. Living in Alaska I'm sure I will put the hooks to the ultimate test. I ordered several hundred hooks from Allen recently and they took less than a week to arrive and that was to Alaska. of all the hooks I did not see one deformed or damaged. I can say this, they stick into my fingers pretty good. Trust me they will penetrate a fished mouth. Anyway, keep up the good business and great communication, it is important. Thank you again,

Mike

I received an update that my order was shipped, well partially anyway, the AFF 2457 - 18 / 100 didn't make it this round. Hooks were shipped Saturday and should be in my Mail box as I type this. Not really concerned about the back order, it happens to every company. I also received my first News Letter from Allen Fly Company as well. Looks like some new product is coming out. Bead Heads and Cones. Rockin'!!! I'll have to start tying up some woolly buggers.