Fly Tying
cruzfly89

allen fly co.

Just took some hooks out of the packages to show my friends. And we all came up with them being nothing like the quality of TMC or Daiichi after looking at them. So i'm returning all the hooks I got today back to Allen Fly Company.. I'll stick with Saber when using inexpensive hooks.. Since you get 100 sharp hooks for $6.99 and free shipping over $35.00.

Also gave a bunch of women 4 different brands of hooks and told them to place the hooks in order of what they thought was the best and worst hook. After getting the results of the test, I was shocked as how many were able to tell which hook was the least expensive out of the bunch..

Justin, Thanks again for letting me sample your hooks!!!

Delivery Confirmation Number

0310 0480 0002 4985 3661

Thanks for your option. Yes, you did receive the #14 and #16 scud hook. The two hooks that I am making a change on. I think when we spoke on the phone before I sent the hooks, I made you aware of that.

I also, do my own testing on my hooks and I come up with my results aswell. This is why companies like mine continue to improve there standards. I do think that some of my hooks need improvment and that is already in place for the smaller scud hooks. I take feedback serious. As you see I dont just stand on the sidelines and sell a product. I improve as I go.

I understand that this is one mans option and I welcome that. The feedback is around %80, %10, %10. 80% like the hooks, 10% like the hooks, but want some improvments on the smaller hooks, and the 10% is happy to try them, but keep with the brand they are using. Sorry, I'm big on %'s ha. Lets me know where the room is to improve.

When the new hooks are ready. I will be giving out free samples on the site to show the improvments.

Thanks again everyone,

Justin

Justin, You did tell me you were making improvements on them hooks. And you were 100% honest and upfront with me when we talked. But after getting them hooks I just don't care for the quality of them. It's not worth my time to fish a dull hook when out fishing like I said. Or for me to spend money on good grade hackle to only wrap it on a hook that's not a good quality hook. Just doesn't make any sense to me...

I'm not trying to bash your hooks or company.... I think everyone should try your hooks and see what they think themselves...

Must say, Looking forward to the next batch of hooks..

NJF

You opinion is important to me. I just took out a pack of my 2457-14 and 16's and cut myself ha testing the point. I think we can keep this in a private PM with going back and fourth to prevent the thread from getting off topic. Great things are to come with new hooks and improvments. Just needed a starting point. I do hope in the future you will be trying my hooks again.

Thank you

I agree about the PM's.. Glad to hear the new ones are sharp.

Since the day I have launched FTF I have always allowed and even encouraged the use of this forum to discuss companies and products. However, I don't think anybody wants this forum to turn into a customer service department(not the members or the companies involved). Discussions about likes or dislikes of particular products are certainly OK but when it comes to problems with orders, shipping, etc those problems should go directly to the company. Thanks. Will.

I agree Will... Just went and edited my post..sorry about that...

I have read this entire post. Let me tell you that i wouldn't and will never buy allen hooks. For one HUGE reason. I dont understand how someone could sell P.O.S. hooks and think they are good quality. Then wait until people complain to change them. It sounds like to me, that hes very aware that he is selling garbage, and is just trying to cover it up. I mean really... you need people to tell you that your hooks are junk???? You cant see this own your own?????? :dunno:

I have read this entire post. Let me tell you that i wouldn't and will never buy allen hooks. For one HUGE reason. I dont understand how someone could sell P.O.S. hooks and think they are good quality. Then wait until people complain to change them. It sounds like to me, that hes very aware that he is selling garbage, and is just trying to cover it up. I mean really... you need people to tell you that your hooks are junk???? You cant see this own your own?????? :dunno:

The plans to change over the hooks have been planned awhile ago. The current scud hook is offset. They are being changed to not be offset and making them in smaller sizes and using a new heat-treatment furnace.

The plans to change over the hooks have been planned awhile ago. The current scud hook is offset. They are being changed to not be offset and making them in smaller sizes and using a new heat-treatment furnace.

The future plans all sound great!!! But will all the new hooks have a sharper point? That's my #1 concern on your hooks. They are super dull!!!

You guys just need to work on the chemical sharpening process. Thinking the hooks i got were left in the chemical to long and made my hooks I purchased from you dull.

Or don't you use this process and you just use the old mechanical way of sharpening the hooks?

Have you seen any of the hooks? Considering Allen is a small company trying to cut into the market what better place than to offer fly tyers a cheap hook at a very reasonable price and then ask them what they think. Product development at its best. I purchased a few hundred of the hooks last month. They are not the best hooks by any means but very usable and at a very good price. I like the fact that a manufacture is asking and adapting to what the consumer wants. As a matter of fact I'm more likely to support someone who is willing to adapt. As for Will's post I agree. FTF is not the place to discuss customer service issues but I'm more than happy to see a manufacturer receive criticism and improve the products they provide.

Josh

Have you seen any of the hooks? Considering Allen is a small company trying to cut into the market what better place than to offer fly tyers a cheap hook at a very reasonable price and then ask them what they think. Product development at its best. I purchased a few hundred of the hooks last month. They are not the best hooks by any means but very usable and at a very good price. I like the fact that a manufacture is asking and adapting to what the consumer wants. As a matter of fact I'm more likely to support someone who is willing to adapt. As for Will's post I agree. FTF is not the place to discuss customer service issues but I'm more than happy to see a manufacturer receive criticism and improve the products they provide.

Josh

Blakejd.. I agree with you 100% when you say " Allen company offers fly tyers a {CHEAP}} hook at a very reasonable price".But let's see what they do in the next month or so.. Maybe Allen & Co can adapt and make a better quality hook instead of a CHEAP hook next month? I'm all for the small mom & pop shop, so let's hope this all works out for Allen & Co. And we can all just rave about his new product line..

Well Justin donated 8 different styles of hooks for a total of over 1000 hooks to my class. I looked at them closely and only found two that didn't stick into my thumbnail with little to no pressure and even these would with a slight pressure. None of them glided over my nail like the old Mustads used to. I've tied with hundreds of Mustads over the years and Allen hooks are by far better than they were. Too call them "super dull" just doesn't jive with my experience. I will say that I do not have hooks larger than size 6 so I cannot talk to the larger wire hooks.

They all have small barbs; all the ones I have are well formed and nice looking overall. Are they Premium hooks? Maybe not yet, but they are very good hooks and a big step up from Standard Mustads without the cost of premium hooks. That seems to be his nitch.

Johny Utah, I personally think you are out of line saying that these are P.O.S hooks or that he is selling garbage when you yourself admit that you have never tried them and "never will"

Any Way,

I say nice job. There are a lot of good tiers here that agree that they are good hooks. The fact that Justin is open to hearing what others think and willing to change, to me, speaks of good customer service. It seems that he has given the money back to all those who didn't like what they have gotten and has tried to please them. To assassinate his character for having issues just isn't the right way to look at it. The best judge of character in my book is how you deal with issues when you have them. That truly speaks to character. If he was the type to sell garbage he wouldn't return calls or return money. He would just get what he could and tell people to take a hike when they didn't care for what he was making.

Not everybody can be satisfied or is going to like the same things. That's what is nice about our modern society. We have lots of different brands to choose from. If you don't like something there are always different places to pick up what you need.

Thanks for your help and for making a good product!

Trez, I'm glad to hear Justin donated a 1000 hooks since he had to do something with them dull / bent hooks. If you paid cash for them hooks you would be singing a different story. Why kick a gift horse in the mouth? Your review is 100% biased b/c you are getting free products from this company.

I think Justin has great hooks I have ordered 500 hooks from him and have 5 free fly boxes. I love these hooks, I'm only a high school kid making $7.50 and hour I'm not gonna spend an hours work on 25 hooks when I can get 100 hooks for that. Also the hooks I have none of them have problems, and I've used up 100+ of the hooks I've ordered, and have had 1 bent one and 2 dull hooks.

To each his own.

I think Justin has great hooks I have ordered 500 hooks from him and have 5 free fly boxes. I love these hooks, I'm only a high school kid making $7.50 and hour I'm not gonna spend an hours work on 25 hooks when I can get 100 hooks for that. Also the hooks I have none of them have problems, and I've used up 100+ of the hooks I've ordered, and have had 1 bent one and 2 dull hooks.

To each his own.

I agree with you, I don't have a ton of money to spend on tying and I have gotten a ton of allen hooks. Have I got a couple bent and dull hooks yes. But I sharpen every fly I tie before it hits my box no matter the manufacture, so that never was the issue. If I got a bent hook I just bend it strait. For $6.95 a hundred I never really cared. I have had issues with other manufactures as well. My most recent was with a 100 tiemco 2457 hooks. I wanted to give allen the chance to fix his scud hooks before I ordered so I got a hundred on ebay for a decent price. When they came in I got 8 hooks that did not even have eyes. :wallbash: Just a flat piece where the eye should have been. For the price you are paying you can't expect them to all be perfect. Even if I had a couple out of a hundred that were not perfect for the price we pay it still was well worth it! Plus Justin always answers questions and offers full refunds if you are not happy. If you are looking for perfection make your own hooks cause no manufacture can offer that. Oh and NJ, I saw a guy here locally that had njalday on his license plate and it made me giggle and think of your username

NJFlyMAn,

You can say what you want, the review was honest. If I didn't like what I got----I just wouldn't have said anything, since they were free. Most professional reviews are done by someone who got the product for free to try out. To state that these kinds of reviews are all bias and that the writers can't tell the truth is to say that all rewiews are worthless and the reviewers liars and easily bought...

I said something because they were nice and they were sharp. I didn't poke my thumb nail 100+ times just to lie about it. I will be purchasing hooks from them for my own use.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience and I do believe that the hooks you got must not have been right. I am not calling you a liar either. You just had a different experience than I did.

bad experiences are going to happen, I know I might get some crap for this but I never will buy another chevy again!!!!! Granted most of their stuff is great but in 4 months I had to lemon law 2 trucks. Does that make me want to buy another noooo... But some of you will swear by them. Am I gonna saw they make P.O.S products? In my experience YES! Would I give them a chance to right the situration, you bet but no effort has been made. Granted this is on a very smaller scale but the concept is the same. I have had good experiences with Allen and will continue to order. In case I am not happy Justin will make good on in, I can't say the same for chevy!