Fly Tying
Crotalus

How do you take your tying gear with you?

Forget the wimpy little over the shoulder bags, travel luggage, or the antiquated heavy wood boxes. The best fly tying travel box is made by...wait for it...Rubbermaid. Inexpensive, durable, stackable, waterproofish, and if you need more materials, just get a bigger box. Smaller size (10 gallon) works well for short trips while the larger (18 galllon) will keep you on the road for months. Serves as a handy tying bench too, when nothing else is available. Have tried every other solution out there, and they just don't handle enough stuff for the cost, so this was my remedy. I always travel with tying materials (although I don't always tie) and I found the shoulder bags are really only sufficient for demonstration tying when I know I'll only be tying a set number of patterns in a finite amount of time. YMMV.

I use that very same tote to store the large amount of furs I have collected. Each fur is packed into a large zip lock bag, labeled and then stored in the tote.

just typed my setup out....way too much typing that then...gone! I will just try to post a pic....

JUST ANOTHER OPTION,

B & W SPORTS HAS A NICE TFLY TYING BAG.

SOME OF THE NICE OPTIONS ARE A SEPERATE VELCRO WALLET /POUCH FOR VISE, VISE BASE AND TOOLS.

IT HAS ITS OWN WASTE CATCH BAG., AND OF COURSE SEVERAL SLEEVES THAT REMOVE WITH VELCRO TO HOLD MATERIALS.

BEST OF ALL ITS ONLY 59.00 BUCKS WITH FREE SHIPPING FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN ON E-BAY. I AM GOING TO GET ONE.

I use a pretty decent sized hard plastic tool box. it has a couple compartments in the lid for spools and tools and i use 3600 series plano boxes to keep things organized and secure. It seems to work pretty good.

For years I had been trial-and-error designing my own wooden carrying boxes to use at shows and tying demonstrations. Some of them weren't half-bad.

Then I met Doug Cooper at a Washington Sportsmen's Show and saw his Bug Box. That changed everything. The box is ergonomically designed, holds everything I need to set up three tying stations (one at my booth, one for the demo theaters, one in the motel) and is extremely well built. It goes with me on camping trips, extended road trips, shows and FFF get-togethers, even took it on the raft for a few float trips for on-the-spot fly design and trial.

With the soft bags (tried them, too) I had to pack and unpack at each session - some were easier than others, but still...

With the Bug Box, you open it up, set up your vise, and tie. Everything you need to tie with is right in front of you, just as you left it, and within arm's reach. There isn't space enough in the forum to describe all the details Doug has thoughtfully designed into this box; suffice it to say that it's totally ergonomic, and designed specifically to accomodate standard packages of materials - no repackaging required.

Here's the link - http://www.thebugbox.net - copy and paste. if you have any further questions, give me a shout.

Hope this helps,

Chuck

Here is my setup Gulp Bag $20, three accordion style folders (feathers, synthetics, and fur) $2 a piece, two flat plastic tackle boxes (came with bag) 1 for hooks 1 for Montana tying company bodies thread and tube fly supplies, one small accordion folder (hooks in zipper packs, beads, cones, and chain), and a 3 piece Cover Girl bag set for my eggs(stole from wife). Total cost no more than $30! I carry two vices one for tubes and a rotary (I usually end up teaching someone to tie) both are clamp style, but I carry a weighted base- you never know (reinforced from the article from Al Beatty) As you can see the front pocket is for my “work in Progress” flies or whatever I am too lazy to put away. The back has a mesh pocket perfect for a book and a few Hatches Mags B) Now I have a load of stuff and would probably need two of these to hold it all. If I just carry the things that I make 90% of my flies with then this does perfect!

Probably the best thing I found was those folders- Big Lots best price.

post-16744-1296858729_thumb.jpg