Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hillbilly rob

Small trout lake tactics

I have a small lake close enough to fish if the streams are to high to fish. It is well stocked and fished hard. I dont normally fish their but will if it is my only choice. I had heard stories of my great grandfather out fishing everyone on a normal bases. I asked my great uncle if he knew how he was doing it. He told me that my grandfather would simply clip almost all the hackel off of a ginger quill and fish it with slow retrieve. I tried it and holy man! Anybody ever try this? What other patterns would you use early in the year just after the ice has melted?

I've never fished that pattern, but it sounds to me like it would look like a midge. Midge patterns are good choices on trout lakes in the early spring around where I live. I'd try streamers as well after ice out. Good luck.

Tom

I've had good luck with a hare's ear nymph suspended 24" below a strike indicator. In lakes, trout keep moving, so toss it out, and let it just set there. You don't have to move it much, just keep the slack under control.

I agree with the midge thoughts. A ginger quill with all the hackle clipped will look like a midge pupa on its way to the surface. A good bet, since midges will begin to hatch as soon as the ice begins to melt.

When I fished a lake that was stocked with trout I used a fly that had a woodduck tail, black body and hackle wound on like a bugger then clipped short. If I recall it was called a Wonder Fly. The method was to cast as far as you could, let it sink and retrieve slowly. It worked. I think the key to fishing a lake is to find out how deep the trout are and then get to that level. Rodd Gunn

I've done really well in lakes slow-trolling a Carey Special.

I'm with phg, nymph under an indicator. I use variations on the pheasant tail nymph with a slow strip retrieve. Copper Johns are another of my favs along with the hares ear.

I luv it when my bobber goes under!! smiley-char096.gif

If you aren't already, I'd strongly recommend using flourocarbon tippets for stillwater!! smiley-char124.gif

I'm sorry, my bad. Here's one I caught from a pond a couple of weeks ago. This one took a McFlyFoam egg, no weight, slow retrieve, just fast enough to keep the slack out.

IMGP1729.jpg