Fly Tying
Jackpott

On the bottom diver

Good looking fly and nice picture. So, what is the "On The Bottom" about? Is it weighted?

Kirk

Hey dude

if you read up you will see this fly is tied a lot more sparsely than the other deerhair patterns i tie simply so that it does not trap as much air. This fly is designed to be fished on a full sinking line or sink tip line on or near the bottom with a piece or two of split shot about 20cm from the fly. This gives this fly a crank bait like action when retrieved through the water due to the divers collar.

The combination of the collar and UV brush gives these patterns the most incredible movement in the water. These UV brushes are incredible.

;)

Very nice fly, love the color combination! If you were to put weight in the head would it give more of a crank bait motion because there would be more water pushing down on it or does the weight of the line enough for the action?

Dude, sorry I didn't read your presentation tips.

Very good technique, I plan on doing that more this season. I know a man in Texas that uses a sinking head 500 - 700 grain with a shooting line and fishes large deer hair head bugs with 10" saddle hackle tails. He doesn't catch a lot of fish but the ones he catches are usually over 4lbs.

Kirk

Dude, sorry I didn't read your presentation tips.

Very good technique, I plan on doing that more this season. I know a man in Texas that uses a sinking head 500 - 700 grain with a shooting line and fishes large deer hair head bugs with 10" saddle hackle tails. He doesn't catch a lot of fish but the ones he catches are usually over 4lbs.

Kirk

Yip thats pretty much how i do it.... nothing like feeling the resistance of a heavy line that you know is dredging the bottom and getting the line pulled through your hands sharply when a good sized fish hits you deep! :)

Jackpott, you've been posting pictures of some great deer hair flies! I especially like how you controlled the colors on this one -- very nice!

-- Mike

Thanks bud! :)

Jackpott, you've been posting pictures of some great deer hair flies! I especially like how you controlled the colors on this one -- very nice!

-- Mike

I really didn't notice that till you mentioned it! GREAT JOB

Whats the UV brush your talking about? It sounds interesting.

hey man, uncertain of the brand but ill find out for you and post it up here. It sparkles UV purple, irrespective of its actual colour in the light and the actual material makes rabbit fur and marabou look like a brick on the water it moves so incredibly. The key is to pick out the individual fibres after palmering it forward, it is really top notch stuff. Imagine any colour with thousands of little tints of UV sparkle and glitter shining off it as it undulates in the sun.

Jackpot, I’ve noticed you have posted more than one pattern with that style of weed guard. I’ve been thinking about trying that style on a few of my bass bugs as I’m not 100% thrilled with the “tail to eye” style I’ve been using.

How does that style work out for you? Any special tying tips?

Thanks

-D

Oh yeah, killer tie man.

That would be awesome. Thanks!

hey dude, tried to find you a link but was unsuccesful.

The product is called UV Streamer Brush by- Just Add h20 products....

hope that helps ;)