Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
gaeronf

Production Tying...

I know some people here on the forum are production tiers and I had a question. I noticed that production tyers can repeat pattern after pattern with outstanding precise-ism. I was wondering if any of you production tiers had any time saving tips or any tips in general that could help me out in any way possible? Thanks in advance!

Learn to hold your scissors the entire time you tie. That will save time since you won't have to pick up and put them down each time you cut material or thread. I got that tip from a Gary LaFontaine video. Also lay out all the materials you need and nothing else, that way you won't be digging through a pile of material looking for what you need. Keep only the number of hooks you need laying out. So if you are tying 12, count out 12 hooks before you start tying, that way you won't have to keep re-counting as you grab another hook from the pile to see how many you've tied. Practice tying your flies with as few thread wraps as possible (cut down on excess wraps) to cut back your tying time and also make your flies look clean and consistent.

I'm sure I'll think of a few more tips to help you out, but it's a nice day and I'm headed to my favorite creek so my mind is already out the door! :scooter:

I'm sure other tyers will have some great suggestions!

I'm not a production fly tyer but do use the vice for other things as well! ;)

Another item I think you'll find in the book as well as the mentioned hints is doing the head cement all at one time.

Also, if doing hair wing flies (like parachutes or wulffs), do just that part first. It ends up creating a couple additonal wraps when you re-start but I've found my consistency to be much better that way and way more done in a shorter period of time.

Todd

One thing that I do when I have to tie 6 or more of the same pattern and size is, I break it down into steps. If it has weight, I do that first on all of them. Tails, hackle, body material other than dubbing etc. But if it's a quick fly like a brassie I will do 1 at a time. I purchased a couple of those round foam holders with slots that you can attach to the post of the vice. They hold up to 18 flies, making it easy to find them! LOL One thing I learned from someone is, pick out all the hackles that you will need and then tape them to a piece of cardboard and they will be ready when you need them. Using a razor blade (the kind with one edge) can give you cleaner finished heads. When I get a new package of loose feathers, I sit down and clean the bag (messy) while watching TV. Then when needed there ready. A lot of it is prepping before you start.

Have Fun!!!!

One thing that I do when I have to tie 6 or more of the same pattern and size is, I break it down into steps. If it has weight, I do that first on all of them. Tails, hackle, body material other than dubbing etc. A lot of it is prepping before you start.

+1

that is the only way I can tie more than a couple of any pattern at a time. Break it down into easy steps, and do each one or two on all hooks you plan to use.

One thing that I do when I have to tie 6 or more of the same pattern and size is, I break it down into steps. If it has weight, I do that first on all of them. Tails, hackle, body material other than dubbing etc. But if it's a quick fly like a brassie I will do 1 at a time. I purchased a couple of those round foam holders with slots that you can attach to the post of the vice. They hold up to 18 flies, making it easy to find them! LOL One thing I learned from someone is, pick out all the hackles that you will need and then tape them to a piece of cardboard and they will be ready when you need them. Using a razor blade (the kind with one edge) can give you cleaner finished heads. When I get a new package of loose feathers, I sit down and clean the bag (messy) while watching TV. Then when needed there ready. A lot of it is prepping before you start.

Have Fun!!!!

Good Day,

Agreed! I bought a pair of the foam "Fly Tying Racks" from Hareline and they are useful. If you don't have them, you can use your bobbin rest to hang flies.

Another thing... make sure all your materials are ready to "tie in". Rather than having, for example, to pull each biot off the stem then tie in, take some time and pull ALL of them off and place in a container like Solo cup (condiment size). Or size and separate all of your hackle before tying. Anywhere that you can save a step at the vise by doing pre-prep work WILL save you time in the long haul.

Steelie

I am a production tier. Get the ak book, it will teach you a lot. even if you dont do production.

I want to say something here. I want you to consider the time you burn preparing materials before you tie.

Your still taking time to prepare the materials before or during. It doesnt make a difference when you spend the preparing time. You are not saving any time when you look at the big picture. It only seems that way if you dont take in to consideration the time you burn preparing the materials. Times is time dont kid yourself. ^_^

I dont step tie, well only a hand full of patterns, but its only a step. Any time you have to tie off your burning time. Your much better off (time wise) staying tied in and keep on trucking on the rest of the fly. Every time you open your jaws and take a hook out and replace thats still time being burned. Keep it in there.

Cam jaws are the production tiers best friend. ^_^

Dont ever put your bobbin or scissors down.

Get several to a lot of bobbins. This way your spooled and ready to go.

Get some magnetic tape and tape your edges of your table to hold your flies.

Just a few tips and suggestions ^_^

I am a production tier. Get the ak book, it will teach you a lot. even if you dont do production.

I want to say something here. I want you to consider the time you burn preparing materials before you tie.

Your still taking time to prepare the materials before or during. It doesnt make a difference when you spend the preparing time. You are not saving any time when you look at the big picture. It only seems that way if you dont take in to consideration the time you burn preparing the materials. Times is time dont kid yourself. ^_^

I dont step tie, well only a hand full of patterns, but its only a step. Any time you have to tie off your burning time. Your much better off (time wise) staying tied in and keep on trucking on the rest of the fly. Every time you open your jaws and take a hook out and replace thats still time being burned. Keep it in there.

Cam jaws are the production tiers best friend. ^_^

Dont ever put your bobbin or scissors down.

Get several to a lot of bobbins. This way your spooled and ready to go.

Get some magnetic tape and tape your edges of your table to hold your flies.

Just a few tips and suggestions ^_^

Thanks...Should i get the 1st edition or the second?

Do many of you pluck and sort your hackle feathers ahead of time?

I find I'm not very good at judging size and so end up plucking out 2 or 3 before I get the right one. I was think sorting them ahead of time would save me some time.

Are there any downsides to doing this?

I was also thinking it would be easier for me to keep just the materials I need at hand this way. Rather than bring up a whole neck or whatever (the basement is too cold for me to tie in this time of year) I could just bring up a dozen or so of hackle feathers I need for the night.

Thanks for the info!

I think I am going to take a dozen plastic bags and take all my feathers and sort them by size. One bag will be size 10, 14, 16, 22, 8, etc.

Get the 2nd.

Also, Use your hook for proportions. That's the real secret to making them all look the same. ^_^

Thank you, I will try the hook-proportion thing too. I (hopefully) put up a trade for an A.k. book so hopefully I will be able to get it.