Fly Tying

do a search in the pattern database, you'll get a lot of info.

scuds should be very simple--- SCUD hook, dubbing body of whatever kind you like, perhaps a scud-back "shell", and a rib of fine wire or thread.

I tie my scuds with hare ears dubbing. I use mylar for the shell back and copper wire for rib and to tie it with. Its called a houglouse. It works great! ^_^

scud hook #14 partridge feather for legs, copper wire for rib, dubbing for body- rabbit fur grey works great at grayling and trout

post-30121-1298571163_thumb.jpg

for the back I have used the plastic from the bags cpu parts come in. nice shine to them. a friend in british columbia ties them in a gold colour and boy do they catch fish. I had heard of them and still cannot figure out how they catch trout.

marc

They catch fish because they look similar to a small crustacean that is found all over the country in waters both moving and still, it can be a very effective patterns to use at times, I really like the sow-scud dubbing that Mr Vegas showed us. I like to tie them in the light grey with an orange hot spot in the middle or as the head.... mostly I do not use a back, I just brush them out to get the legs and then burn the back smooth with a lighter, just as effective and I can tie a couple dozen or more in a less than an hour,

Here is the youtube vid from Matt (owner of the fly shop I love the most) tying a scud and burning the back... honestly it's the only scud in my box. No rib no back no problem..... and effective as any other I have ever fished.

Steve

Here is what I use and I have got 5 browns and 6 whitefish in one day with it. :headbang: (thats why the head is about to start unwraping)

002-2.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg