Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bluegill576

Epoxy problem

I'v recently been having some problems with my epoxy. I use z-poxy and whenever I mix the two mixtures together they get all bubbly and then when the flies are done the epoxy has a bunch of bubbles in it so the flies look weird. If anybody has experienced this problem and knows how to fix this please share. Thanks

I don't know if I'm entirely correct, but it might be from you mixing it too fast, when you mix it too fast it allows too much air to get in the epoxy and create bubbles.

I don't know if this is fast set epoxy or not, but if you have the time, mix thoroughly as usual and then spread the epoxy out on a sheet of aluminum foil. Use a plastic disposable plate underneath so you don't ruin anything if the foil tears. Let the mixed epoxy rest on the foil for about 5 minutes. Most of the bubbles will pop. The other thing to do is to use only plastic or metal stir sticks because toothpicks are porous and will introduce air to your mix. Also, as much as possible try to fold the mix together instead of vigorously stirring it. A few years back this was invented for getting smoother wraps for custom built rods:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp...mc_id1=24286539

What kind of flies are you applying epoxy too?

There may be other things available which could serve

just as well which are less subject to bubbling.

I tie a lot of different flies, but the more recent ones that I have been using epoxy on are realistic ants ants and realistic wasps.

A time or two in the past I've noticed bubbles on some of my poppers. It gave them a hazy

look that bothered me. But it didn't effect their fish-ability. The same may be the case with

your flies. Or something like Loon Hard Head might work for you. I haven't noticed bubbles

when using that product. It dries fairly quickly and a soft bristle brush which if promptly rinsed

off with water can be reused for many years. I don't notice the slight cloudy appearance it has

in the bottle after it dries on a fly.

Try to mix your epoxy slower. I switched from 5 min to 30 min so i could mix slower and it helped. Also apply as thin of a coat as you can get away with.

-D

I tie a lot of different flies, but the more recent ones that I have been using epoxy on are realistic ants ants and realistic wasps.

You might try Dave's flexament on the flies that you want to float and Hard as Hull or Sally Hansen's on flies you want to sink.

Fred

Give this a try...

After running out equal lines of the A and B on a proper surface, do not combine with a beating or whipping motion...

Drag the tip of your bodkin thru the epoxy drawing concentric circles without lifting the tip of the bodkin above the mix so as NOT to blend in any air...

Thanks for the help guys. First I'll try mixing the epoxy differently then if that doesn't work then ill get a new epoxy.

Ok guys, I tied a couple of different flies and then mixed the epoxy the way that pete gray said to do and this worked out. Nomore bubbles!

I don't think you'll get rid of bubbles completely when mixing. I use a longer set time epoxy, 60 or 90 minute, and I add a few drops of denatured ethyl alcohol when mixing if I'm going to be using it as a coating. I mix in plastic souffle cups & use a plastic bristle brush for mixing & coating and I do mix it slow. Bubbles in the mix usually dissipate after a few minutes. I only get a bubble or two sometimes in the coating. I use thin coatings also, and the addition of the alcohol helps.

If I'm mixing it to make spoon flies or otherwise need it to be stiffer, I don't use the alcohol, and I sometimes get more bubbles in the mix. I also mix with an old stainless steel dental tool for this type application.

With epoxy that has such a long set time, it does need to be rotated by something motorized. Turning it by hand would wear you out! :cheers:

I find I get better results using FlexCoat rod wrapping two part coating. Dries very clear, easy to work with and most important doesn't get the wife going due to the smell of the epoxy in the house. Works well. Hope this helps.