Fly Tying
flyderaght

what you can find in your hardware store for tying

riffleriversteelheadslayer if you don't mind me asking. What did you make the mold out of? I think this would be something I would like to try. Any help would be great. Thaks BF

Thanks for the help riffleriversteelheadslayer. Will any of the spray foam in a can work? or is one brand better than the other? BF

I have never thought of making a mold for this application before but in college we used RTV silicone to make molds and backed them with wood for expandable materials such as foam. There are lots of websites that have info on doing this. Here is one.

http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/silicone...CFQM6gwodoQVQ9w

I might have to try it sometime. I am passing this info along as I can't do it right now. If anyone tries it please let us know how it turns out. Maybe we should start a new thread.

By the way, you can get small tubes of RTV at some hardware stores but more often at auto stores as high temp RTV is used for gasket sealant. It might take a couple tubes to make a one cavity mold though so it might be cheaper to just buy a pint from one of the many online dealers.

Brush-on super glue. I actually found it at Joanne's Crafts and Fabrics, but some hardware stores have it. Makes for very durable bodies on flies, such as pheasant tail nymphs. Just be careful not to glue your fingers to the hook (not that that would ever happen to me :wallbash: )

Guest rich mc

my last purchase was for non lead solder. bought both the 1/8and 1/4 inch diameter.i use it for rear weighting flies. it gets attached around the bend and along the shank on a 60 degree bend hook . flatten it alittle with pliers and cut the ends on an angle . rich mc