Fly Tying
PWB

Balsa Popper

Are you able to guesstimate the time it takes to make one? I've tied some poppers up...but I have bought the hard foam bodies...don't have the time to make popper bodies...it looks nice though. Good job.

Very nice work PWB!!!! How did you

shape it?

Henry F.

Henry, I just shape the bodies by hand with sandpaper then to cup out the face I spin a small sanding stone made for a dremel between my thumb and finger. Use drill bits to paint the eyes. The base color and the gloss coats were actually put on with a toothpick. Not a fancy method but it works .

shape it?

Henry F.

Henry, I just shape the bodies by hand with sandpaper then to cup out the face I spin a small sanding stone made for a dremel between my thumb and finger. Use drill bits to paint the eyes. The base color and the gloss coats were actually put on with a toothpick. Not a fancy method but it works .

Drill bits for the eyes huh, i have read alot about using them.. but dont see how it would work very well...

shape it?

Henry F.

Drill bits for the eyes huh, i have read alot about using them.. but dont see how it would work very well...

Try it yourself sometime, it works great for me. Blunt end of the drill bit dipped in paint, touched lightly to the bug (I try to keep the bit itself from touching the bug). Pull it back and you have a perfectly round eye. Let it dry, and put a smaller drop of a different color inside the first dot, and one last smaller dot inside the last and you have a great looking painted eye.

Tom