Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishing99

Jbobbin Arrived

Hi,

Picked up my new Jbobbin today from Jay Smit down in South Africa. I am amazed at the beautiful machining he can do!

Better photos of this bobbin at his website: jvice.com

IMG_1237.jpg

Hi,

Picked up my new Jbobbin today from Jay Smit down in South Africa. I am amazed at the beautiful machining he can do!

Better photos of this bobbin at his website: jvice.com

IMG_1237.jpg

How does it feel in your hand and how smooth is the tention setting? Also will it take any spool?

Thanks V

Still trying to figure out what problem this design solves? Other than the variable tension, which other bobbins have, what are the supposed advantages of this bobbin? The irregular shape would make this bobbin a bear to spin, which is a key reason why I would probably never buy one, but it certainly is a curious design.

Still trying to figure out what problem this design solves? Other than the variable tension, which other bobbins have, what are the supposed advantages of this bobbin? The irregular shape would make this bobbin a bear to spin, which is a key reason why I would probably never buy one, but it certainly is a curious design.

Curious. What is he charging for these? No info on the web site

Mine is an early production one. It has a good feel in the hand and is designed to be more ergonomic than traditional straight design. If you look at the photo on his website, you can see how it fits into your tying hand. It is also very smooth and top quality construction. I don't think he has set a formal price yet.

Do not fear the untried

the info is on his price list. Looks like $30. I expected it to be way more. Some others are way more. I agree that by allegedly solving one "problem" with a standard bobbin, other problems will be introduced. If it works for you, great, I hope he sells a million of them.

Interesting design... Looks like it would be great for those "gotta have the newest gadget" kind of tyer but in my tying that bobbin would be more a hindrance than a benefit. I tie with dubbing loops way too often to use a bobbin without a round stem. To each their own.

Interesting design... Looks like it would be great for those "gotta have the newest gadget" kind of tyer but in my tying that bobbing would be more a hindrance than a benefit. I tie with dubbing loops way too often to use a bobbin without a round stem. To each their own.

Interesting, what is a "round stem"?

Thanks

Tube, stem, barrel, not really sure what the exact term is but I am describing the tube that the thread feeds through. I should have been more descriptive because I realize that this bobbin does have a round tube, stem, barrel, etc. but with the angle that its at, the bobbin will definitely spin somewhat wonky, as opposed to a wishbone shaped bobbin or the other bobbin designs out there.

Actually, now that I think about it, I am so used to tying with my Mitch's Bobbin Whirler bobbin that I forgot that not all bobbins have the ability to create a dubbing loop without the use of an extra dubbing loop tool. So I guess my post doesn't apply. Still, I don't really see any added benefit from this design other than the fact that "it is different, so it must be cool."

Tube, stem, barrel, not really sure what the exact term is but I am describing the tube that the thread feeds through. I should have been more descriptive because I realize that this bobbin does have a round tube, stem, barrel, etc. but with the angle that its at, the bobbin will definitely spin somewhat wonky, as opposed to a wishbone shaped bobbin or the other bobbin designs out there.

Actually, now that I think about it, I am so used to tying with my Mitch's Bobbin Whirler bobbin that I forgot that not all bobbins have the ability to create a dubbing loop without the use of an extra dubbing loop tool. So I guess my post doesn't apply. Still, I don't really see any added benefit from this design other than the fact that "it is different, so it must be cool."

I remember folks with a Thompson A wondering why anyone would want one of "those rotary things"..........

You really have to try things before you really know - just seems to me..........

You really have to try things before you really know - just seems to me..........

Not sure why you can't seem to comprehend that after reviewing the photos, any reasonably experienced tier can deduce how this bobbin will behave. I don't know about you, but I don't hold the bobbin in my hand as in the photos, so the alleged ergonomic point is moot. Furthermore, the fact that it won't spin on an even remotely centered axis mean problems for anyone who rotates a bobbin for thread control or dubbing loops.

Still waiting to hear a single significant advantage this gadget has other than the fact that it is different, and I find the lack of rebuttal quite informative. Have to agree with Pelhament, being different is not in and of itself a virtue.

I remember folks with a Thompson A wondering why anyone would want one of "those rotary things"..........

I do hope you like it and find it to be better than what you had before.

It is too expensive for me to just try, to see if I would get any benefit over a standard bobbin. I'd try it if I had the chance, but not for $30.

IMO fly tying bobbins are kind of like bicycle drive trains- there have been refinements and tweaks to make things smoother, lighter, and better but the basic design (chain drive, cogs, gears, cranks) is well over a century old and is as good as any thing ever tried. A standard "Y" design bobbin is now about as refined as we are likely to get with delrin feet, ceramic tube, etc... a strange angle and an extra surface for the thread to go over don't get it for me.

Not sure why you seem to comprehend that after reviewing the photos, any reasonably experienced tier can deduce how this bobbin will behave. I don't know about you, but I don't hold the bobbin in my hand as in the photos, so the alleged ergonomic point is moot. Furthermore, the fact that it won't spin on an even remotely even axis mean problems for anyone who rotates a bobbin for thread control or dubbing loops.

Still waiting to hear a single significant advantage this gadget has other than the fact that it is different, and I find the lack of rebuttal quite informative. Have to agree with Pelhament, being different is not in and of itself a virtue.

Well, very interesting comments. We shall see if the design becomes popular or not. I've been tying for nearly 40 years and have not yet formed a conclusion. I have to use it more to know if it is better than the standard design. I haven't encountered any "problems" so far. You wrap thread like any bobbin except that you control the delivery point more closely.