Fly Tying
Kirk Dietrich

Foil Poppers/Sliders, my first

Thanks everyone, they really are pretty cool looking. I can't wait to see how the slider works, I hope it dives. If not, I may have to put it on a sink tip.

Matt24, I bought a balsa block and brass tubing and punched out some dowels and rounded off the back, and cupped the face with a dremel bit. Don't know of anywhere that sells pre-made balsa bodies. One or two, I just cut a rectangular block and rounded the back end.

Kirk

Thanks everyone, they really are pretty cool looking. I can't wait to see how the slider works, I hope it dives. If not, I may have to put it on a sink tip.

Matt24, I bought a balsa block and brass tubing and punched out some dowels and rounded off the back, and cupped the face with a dremel bit. Don't know of anywhere that sells pre-made balsa bodies. One or two, I just cut a rectangular block and rounded the back end.

Kirk

Kirk

I'm in the TVFF club with Walt and you have learned well. Nice flies.

knucks

Thanks Oat and Cream.

Knucks, thanks. I just saw Walt at the Red Stick in Baton Rouge, he said he hasn't tied in years but has a good stock of bugs from when he used to tie. He said he would get a box of hooks in and but bodies on the whole box of hooks! That multi-colored painted eye is the best look for painted bugs that I got from Walt.

Kirk

Kirk, those are something else boss!!!!

The gold and black, were you going for

a wild shinner look, because they look

dead on to me!!! :headbang: :headbang:

I don't think there's a bucketmouth down

here that would pass one of those up!!!

Henry F.

Kirk, those are something else boss!!!!

The gold and black, were you going for

a wild shinner look, because they look

dead on to me!!! :headbang: :headbang:

I don't think there's a bucketmouth down

here that would pass one of those up!!!

Henry F.

Kirk

I have seen those boxes and they were full of poppers. He had whole wall's full of them.

knucks

Are they hooks from Harlee Rod? If so those are good hooks. I wish Mustad still made them. But I have enough for my lifetime and my kids life time.

Thanks Henry, something about gold; the gold Rapala was always my favorite.

knucks, I figured he had a lot but that is crazy!

Thanks PWB.

Are they hooks from Harlee Rod? If so those are good hooks. I wish Mustad still made them. But I have enough for my lifetime and my kids life time.

Yes, I did get them from Harlee. I just found out about them a few months ago so I think a lot of the lot is gone. I'd like to have a better selection of hook sizes. This size 2 is the only kink shank I could find other than the neat little cadmium plated #10.

I got two hundred of this size 2 hook. They came two boxes of 100 ea. for $6-$7 for both, no shipping!

Kirk

DSC_1437-1.jpg

Very nice work there! Those 1st 2 have some very nice subtle colouration, i would love to throw something like this around lilly pads for smallies!