Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flytyer14

Fishing report : 4/24/11

Mark, congrats on your first fly caught fish...heckuva feelin' aint it?!?!? Nice job on the report with the photos of the area and the weather pattern (clouds), fishy looking spot you have there. That unknown fish looks a lot like what we called "shiners" back in central Florida. I don't know if they are in your neck of the woods, but it could be in the same family. Congrats again

Murray

Definitely not a dis, just curious. I probably suck, I just started and am having to teach myself fly fishing and tying. It's a lot of fun though. I live in Plumas County, CA. Plenty of water here. I just keep trying again and again and one of these days I'll get the hang of it. I live at Lake Davis, a great trout fishery. I've only caught a few fish on one trip otherwise I've spent many days of fly fishing just trying to learn. In fact I learned how to tie to know what to put on the end of the line. So far the last few months have been a great journey. Wish you luck on your next fish.

Jeremy

Congrats Mark, keep at it. A few things to keep track of if your keeping reports on your fishing or setting up a fishing diary..

Bottom type: Rocky, gravel, boulders, sand, mud or bedrock shelves.

Current type: riffel, pools, slow holes. runs, rapids, pocket water

Insect activity observations.

Flies used: what worked what didn't.

Number species and size of fish caught.

Good job on your first fish! I remember when I caught my first bass last fall. I still am looking to catch a trout on a fly I tied (I don't get to go to the mountains that much). What is the terrain where you live (i.e. mountany, hills, ect)?

fun, ain't it FT14.....I have been at it off and on for 40 years and had no choice but be self taught. This internet thing is a wonderful thing and has much to offer on tying and fishing. If you have a local library, even a small one, you can 'order' any book you wish to read on these subjects. I love being on the small creeks myself. Not many large fish but it is still the most enjoyable to me. I have been to the Quetico several times, Reelfoot, and many other places. Give me a small creek 10 minutes from the house and I am happy.

Stay at it, learn more and catch some big ones