Fly Tying

So I'm going to Cape Cod this coming weekend for the first time to chase some stripers. My understanding is that they eat a ton of little sand eels at this time. This is my collection thus far. I came up with a squid pattern as well to try out. Let me know if I'm missing anything..Thanks...

post-22995-0-98085800-1305636545_thumb.jpg

post-22995-0-63761900-1305636555_thumb.jpg

My sister used to live out there. If the bluefish are in, throw topwater: sliders, divers, pencil poppers, etc. Strip them in as fast as you can and hold on to your rod. The fish smell like they've been dead for a week fresh out of the water, but they are FUN to catch!

That squid fly looks killer. If blues are present you may want to add a few surf candies. Tied with Super Hair and epoxy they are very durable and don't get shredded by teeth. Plus, you can epoxy the head to a long slender shape along the hook shank to give the fly more of a sand eel shape. This page has a lot of recipes for the northeast so may give you more ideas. Good luck

IT'S GOING TO BE CLOSE THE Blues SHOULD BE IN SOON CHASING THE squid, dont know if all this weather is going to hold them BACK a few days but if you run into BLUES you better have some TIEABLE WIRE LEADER or some 60lb mono, I save all my old BEAT=UP flys for BLUEFISH.have them PRE WIRED an ready.

GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN

Smallie

The fish are on the Cape. That collection of flies should work wellfor you. Possibly add a herring pattern if you get to fishing near any of the runs. Weather may even improve this weekend too. Have Fun!