Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hypobaricstalker

Rojo midge's

What hooks do you use? Images look like TMC 2488's but 200R's are listed. Should Rojo midges be about the same size as regular midges? Any one know the theory behind the colors and structure of the GRM?

any style of hook that provides the curvature of the real thing would be perfectly fine.

sizes should be the same as the bug you are trying to imitate

For Rojo Midges, MHO.. TMC 200R is your best bet for hook choice. But that doesn't mean you can't tye this pattern on any other style of hook and still be successful fishing this pattern.

As for sizes i would go with #16's - #22's and fish the sizes what the fish & conditions call for that day. B)

That is a pattern invented by a guy here in Colorado... He ties them on 200r's. That being said you should tie them how you want.

I also fish them in a number of trophy stillwaters in size 10 and 12.

C

I ask this because when I hear the word "midge" i think of the curvature and size of our black beauties and zebra's etc. so to tie another midge on a 200r with a red bead and tuff confuses me. That's why i think I feel more comfortable tying on the 2488. Can anyone explain why the longer, more straight body, red mead over mercury and tuff?

Here is what I think... Just what I think. I don't think of them as a "midges", but rather chironomids. I think it is more of a stillwater pattern than a river or stream pattern. When I think of tiny midges I think tailwater and 20-26.

I carry red, olive and black rojo midges in #10-18 on 200r. I don't know why they are built that way, but I know that I have caught a number of large trout in still waters on each of the variations.

C

Here is what I think... Just what I think. I don't think of them as a "midges", but rather chironomids. I think it is more of a stillwater pattern than a river or stream pattern. When I think of tiny midges I think tailwater and 20-26.

I carry red, olive and black rojo midges in #10-18 on 200r. I don't know why they are built that way, but I know that I have caught a number of large trout in still waters on each of the variations.

C

Thanks Dez, that's kind of the feeling I had but wasnt sure. I'm pretty new to the Ento/tying stuff. I've noticed the tuff on some images, and belevie the peacock hurl looks like the abdomen a bit. I still have yet to catch any midge pupa in my net. I might have had a couple yesterday, but not positive.

The Rojo Midge was designed by Greg Garcia, who works with Charlie Craven, at Charlie's Fly Box. He seems to favor the TMC 200R hook. I tie 'em in a variety of colors, on the same hook, in #18-22, and use them on the East Walker River and Hot Creek in the Eastern Sierras here in CA. There is no reason one could not tie versions on other hooks like the TMC 2488 or TMC 2487- or comparable hooks...keeping in mind that one is actually tying smaller versions of midges when using those hooks.

PT/TB ;)

Went in to Charlies fly box today to see Greg and ask him about the pattern but greg had the day off. I asked Charlie and Dave about wether its supposed to be a lake chrono or a stream chrono, and they said stream chrono. My next question was why is it on such a long hook creating such a long body and they just cracked up! Apparently they dont know why other than Greg apparently has a thing for 200r's.

A couple of things I have learned through my stream samples. The body position (curvature) of any insect larvae, nymph, or pupae is anything but static. These critters can and do assume different body curvatures at various times. The free living caddis larvae, won't even be the same length from one minute to the next, their bodies undulate, shrink and grow and even the thickness changes as they wiggle around.

Just because a pattern is tied on a particular hook (200R, 2488, or 3761,) doesn't mean you can't tie the same pattern on different hook shapes and imitate the same thing. Remember the lenght of the larvae, or nymph is what is the key. When you measure the lenght of a curved hook you need to measure around teh bend of the hook.