Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
NJFlyMAn

Unsticking Fly Rod Ferrules

Well my graphite fly rod is stuck and I can't get it apart. Thinking the the 40F temp swing today caused the problem? I had the rod in the car overnight in 40F temps. And then fished today and the temps climbed into the 80's. I took the rod into three different fly shops in town and nobody could get it apart. Does anybody have a method that they use that maybe i'm overlooking? I called the fly rod manufacture and they said let it sit out in the house for a few days and the try again on Monday. If can't get it unstuck, I was told to mail it back, and they will replace it free of charge. B)

have you tried the old "twist and pull method"? alternatively, and this could be way off the mark... Have you tried heating the outside section and / or cooling the inner section?

Sorry this might not be any help, but I'm wondering on how your gonna ship it, if need be.

Funny you should ask that question. I said the same thing to the manufacture today on the phone, that I didn't want to pay for oversize shipping when returning this rod. He said just break the rod if your sending it back and it wont be a problem, since i called in about the problem today. And this problem I experienced with the rod should never of happened and it's fully covered under warranty 100%. B)

Sorry this might not be any help, but I'm wondering on how your gonna ship it, if need be.

Maybe it's time to just to try brute force it off. If you break it, Say La Vi, its covered by warranty anyway.

- Surf Fisherman

Maybe it's time to just to try brute force it off. If you break it, Say La Vi, its covered by warranty anyway.

- Surf Fisherman

Yup...That's the plan on Monday. If she don't loosen up from just sitting around the house. Then she's getting some brute force on her until she snaps either way B)

I'd try Lil'Dave's suggestion - heating and/or cooling. I tried that once and it worked. Other than that, the brute force, fail or succeed, method sounds like a good alternative. Good luck, hope this doesn't hold up your time on the water.

I think a straight pull from both directions is best, I've heard twisting isn't good but who knows. Anyway, the key is a straight pull usually with two people, one on each end.

Kirk

Hip Hip Hooray!!! ... I got it unstuck with letting it sit overnight and using stuff one uses for shelf liners that is rubber and gives one a good grip.. B)

As for it keeping me off the water. I still have 3 other 9' 4wt rods. So I'm loosing no time on the water b/c of it. B)

I just now came across this post. I've had this happen in the past also. I used two of those rubberized shelf liners which allowed me to get a better grip. Give it a little twist and pull it apart. I've also used a couple of damp wash cloths (folded up to fill my fist) when on the road.

Glad you got it apart. Just for future reference and for other guys that may run into this problem, here is the best method and works almost 100% of the time.

First off never ever twist a rod apart, that is what causes lateral fractures in graphite.

When you have a stuck rod, ice on the male section for awhile to get the male section as cold as you can. Then heat on the female furrule. Then quickly sit down in a chair and hold the rod behind your legs. Brace each arm against each of your legs and push apart with your legs. This will give you a direct pull in opposite directions without twisting or pulling on an angle, plus your using the strength in your legs which is obviously much greater than your arms/hands. This normally gets apart even the worst of stuck rods.

Steve

Ditto on what 'Drifter said, I stand and place rod behind my knees, grip on either side and spread your knees, will do the job on any rod sticks I've ever had..