Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

Giant tarpon, second season

Right on time the big fish have finally returned in numbers to the Gulf coast of the Everglades.... The area I'm talking about is a thirty mile stretch of coastline from Cape Sable north to Lostman's River. Small to medium fish never left to follow the spawning migration but they've been re-joined by the big fish now (or at least the first big schools have made an appearance). We found our first group last Friday hanging out in five to seven feet of water about 300 meters off the shoreline. The fish were just loafing there, widely scattered, at the beginning of the rising tide, finning, occasionally rolling. They were being so quiet that at first I didn't see them. We had to pole out for about five minutes before we saw one or two, then they were all around us, fish that ranged from 70 to about 100lbs. My angler that morning was skilled fly angler Joe Huggard, from Luxembourg. He's chased tarpon in Africa, South America, and always tries to make it down to my area when he's in-country. The fish didn't let us down. Joe got one of about 70lbs to the boat on a brand new Sage rod so quickly that I didn't have time to fire up the camera. His second one was a bit bigger but it did all the releasing soon after the hook-up. Soon after, the wind came up and we lost the conditions needed for that spot so it was off to other things..

The big fish should become more and more numerous during August, things get really good by September, and it will all end that first cold night in October (that's usually the end of the third week of October, right when the World Series is on). Standard gear for the big fish in my area.... a 10 to 12wt rod, a full intemediate fly line, and a large black fly. The fishing can be so good that guides from Chokoloskee/ Everglades City will make a 35 mile run across open water just to be along the coast at dawn... Tarpon heaven, or at least my version of it. Next time I'll try to get that camera working in time...

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

OH YEA.....Thanks for the report and pleeeeease keep us land locked ff in the loop.