Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Murnane

A Must for Fly tyers

Hi, i am looking for a list of things i should buy to make majority of flies. i live in SW florida and the water is saltwater and i live on the gulf side. i fish for snook, tarpon, redfish, trout, etc.... Could someone possibly go on a website and make a wishlist ans save it under there email or such and tell me it so i can look it up and buy the stuff or just name a bunch of things i should get. i have all threads and tools and such i just need materials! thanks Aaron!

I'm sure there are some guys on here that will help you. But you could just look for the patterns that are working for those species of fish, then find a recipe of the fly and then get the materials that way.

I'm sure there are some guys on here that will help you. But you could just look for the patterns that are working for those species of fish, then find a recipe of the fly and then get the materials that way.

Go to a local fly shop, you may have to ask around to find the right one, and ask them what flys are working best. Mill around the shop, buy those flys as tied by a local fly tier. Then go to a different fly shop & follow the same routine... etc, etc.... till you run out of fly shops.. see what the common flys are and which shops seem to be shooting straight. Leave the lable or toe tag on those flys and don't fish them.. they are examples to help you find them in the book. Be aware that they may be slight variations of traditional flys in the book so the colors and materials may vary but the basic fly should be faithful.

Then get yourself a copy of "The ORVIS Fly-Tying Guide" -Tom Rosenbauer- (at Barns and Noble for $29.95). You will very likely find those flys in the book with the list of materials. You may even find the step-by-steps. One of my first steps would be to go look at the book.. I think a light bulb will come on. It has for many...and you will buy the book! -poksal-

Google Image search redfish flies, snook flies, saltwaterflies , saltwater baitfish flies...you get the idea. Click on the picture and collect the info.

Look in the saltwater section of this forum, google saltwater fly fishing forums...the list goes on and on.

Ther is also a thread in the saltwater section we started a year or so ago that listed good sites.

Your computer is the best source of info you have, also remember that just because somthing calls for one type of material does not mean you can't substitute.

as for thread, keep it simple, white, browns, olives, medium mono can be used for almost anything

You also have a large number of killer shops in your area....Google and go.

It won't take long and you will have more than you know what to do with

More important than materials... is finding a class with a skilled tyer. You'll learn more in a session with a good teacher than you will in a year on your own. Here's how I'd go about finding one. Call your local fly shops to find out when their next class is scheduled and sign up if you can. The next question is to try to locate your local fly fishing clubs, attend their meetings and ask if they have formal or informal tying sessions. I used to do that sort of stuff for a local club some years ago one night a month and it was a freebie (one of the shops I tied for in that era provided the space, the anglers who showed up brought the refreshments, etc).

Remember that it's very easy to buy lots of stuff that won't see much use. I buy the minimum in materials until you have a good idea of what you'll actually use...

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

Hi, i am looking for a list of things i should buy to make majority of flies. i live in SW florida and the water is saltwater and i live on the gulf side. i fish for snook, tarpon, redfish, trout, etc.... Could someone possibly go on a website and make a wishlist ans save it under there email or such and tell me it so i can look it up and buy the stuff or just name a bunch of things i should get. i have all threads and tools and such i just need materials! thanks Aaron!

Here's a some ideas from SW Florida Coast fly tyers: http://www.mangrovecoastflyfishers.com/flytyings.php & http://www.fishermanscoast.com/flies/flies.html

How far south in SW Florida are you? Capt. Tom Shadley does fly tying a few nights a month at Mangrove Outfitters in Naples.

Any good shops in punta gorda / port charlotte are?

All the shops in town closed up years ago. Closest for materials one has to go to Cooks south Venice on 41 or Flying Fish going to north Venice Jetty . Farther is CB's & Economy in Sarasota or Lehrs North Ft Myers & Bass Pro south Ft Myers; or the 2 out on Boca Grande which no longer have tying materials.

Once you have at least some kind of idea of the sorts of flies you will want to be tying start watching everywhere for everyday stuff that could be used as tying materials. I remember reading how a guy was using strips of plastic garbage bags to make squid patterns, etc. Hobby shops and fabric stores are great sources of different materials at much lower prices. Have fun and turn your imagination loose.