Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Leader ?

I have 2 question. First I tryed to make a furled leader with mono and mine curled up and twisted in a few spots. What went wrong? #2 someone asked me a make a furled leader for salmon. What material should I use? He's using an 8wt. I would like to make some trout leaders for me with Fluorocarbon but need to know what I'm doing wrong. What do you think about the Versi Tip lines.?

Kevin

I am kind of new to the whole furled leader thing, but I have made about 15 now and getting the hang of it. I use line from McCoy and have had no problems with it. I think for the curling up and twisting you are experiencing may be because you are twisting the line too much or the weight you are using is not heavy enough.

I am kind of new to the whole furled leader thing, but I have made about 15 now and getting the hang of it. I use line from McCoy and have had no problems with it. I think for the curling up and twisting you are experiencing may be because you are twisting the line too much or the weight you are using is not heavy enough.

The weight factor is something I did think about.

Kevin

I dont know diddly squat about furled leaders but i read somethings about it. Is the mono you're using strait from the spool? Maybe you should try straitening it first?

Kevin:

I have made dozens of furled leaders, but never one using either mono or fluorocarbon, so I can not speak from personal experience to the cause of your problem. I have never heard any of the guys I know who make them using either mono or fluorocarbon mentioning such a problem. However, will take a shot or two at answering your question: 1) I suspect that you did not have enough tension (weight in your terms) on it while twisting and furling it. If the tension were adequate, I would think that the twisting and furling action would take the coil out of it; and, 2) Although it might help, I do not feel that straightening it before making your loops will solve the problem.

If I knew your layout formula and the other variable elements, I could calculate the amount of weight needed. However, you can do this yourself if you will download Karel Gol's Excel spreadsheet, as found at: furledleaders.co.uk under the caption: SETUPS AND TECHNIQUES, at page 15 in the thread : My Info in One File.

In my humble opinion, no serious furler should be without this spreadsheet, and learn how to use it. It is really very easy to learn how.

monfilament floats: flourocarbon sinks. I use that twist method; a second person to keep the twist out of the ends is helpful.

I just made one with 4# mono and tripled the weight I was using. So far so good.I need to make one for someone that is taking a salmon trip. He wants to try one. I'm not sure how to make one for something that size.

Kevin

Kevin,

I've made leaders out of mono, fluoro, UNI thread and Danville Flymaster thread, with good results. Perhaps the issue is the weight when you're furling. It's happened to me a couple of times when I overtwist and then don't have enough weight for the furling (if that makes sense). You know this is going to become a new addiction, right? :-)

John

Kevin,

I've made leaders out of mono, fluoro, UNI thread and Danville Flymaster thread, with good results. Perhaps the issue is the weight when you're furling. It's happened to me a couple of times when I overtwist and then don't have enough weight for the furling (if that makes sense). You know this is going to become a new addiction, right? :-)

John

I do believe that was the reason. I did another one with more weight and it's ok. I took it out today and used a fly idea I got from riffleriverstealheadslayer. All worked well, the leader did ok and the fly was great. He has an idea for a "scum frog" http://southernlure.goodbarry.com/_catalog_41566/Scum_Frog. Mine didnt look as good as his but it looked gread in the mouth of the bass I cought today.

Kevin

I have 2 question. First I tryed to make a furled leader with mono and mine curled up and twisted in a few spots. What went wrong? #2 someone asked me a make a furled leader for salmon. What material should I use? He's using an 8wt. I would like to make some trout leaders for me with Fluorocarbon but need to know what I'm doing wrong. What do you think about the Versi Tip lines.?

Kevin

Just curious, why would you choose a furled leader over a fluorocarbon leader for Salmon? I know the life span of fluoro vs mono is often the debate, but if you're using fluoro for the furled leader whats the difference? When fishing for large trout and/or steelhead we always use fluorocarbon leaders but we're very diligent to dispose of any waste material properly. I've always been told that a furled leader is best when making very delicate "Dry" fly presentations? Have I been given bad info all these years?

Yeah i couldn't think of a practical application for a furled leader while fishing salmon, sometimes just a straight piece of fluoro will do fine especially for swinging. I only used furled leaders for dries, got a couple of those blue sky numbers, they seem to float but i really don't use them. Never really had any issue turning over a fly. I am with jhunter39, maybe we need to be educated.

Versi tip lines are awesome, you can cover a load of flow rates/ depths very quickly and easily, same with poly leaders, i am stubborn tho and use a bunch of different lines from intermediate tip to 300gr +. LOL that being said furl up some LC-13 for offshore leviathans and deep sea monsters :P

Yeah i couldn't think of a practical application for a furled leader while fishing salmon, sometimes just a straight piece of fluoro will do fine especially for swinging. I only used furled leaders for dries, got a couple of those blue sky numbers, they seem to float but i really don't use them. Never really had any issue turning over a fly. I am with jhunter39, maybe we need to be educated.

Versi tip lines are awesome, you can cover a load of flow rates/ depths very quickly and easily, same with poly leaders, i am stubborn tho and use a bunch of different lines from intermediate tip to 300gr +. LOL that being said furl up some LC-13 for offshore leviathans and deep sea monsters :P

I have never fished for salmon and he knows I tie leaders and asked me if I could make one for his trip. So if I getting this right you just use straight mono or fluo. for a leader. Is that correct?

Kevin

I use Rio Fluoroflex tapered leaders and Rio Fluoroflex tippet material.

Have you ever tryed to make your own leaders? It's nice to be able to change it to fi your needs.

Kevin