Fly Tying
KHoss

steelhead flies

here are a few that I have going for this year

7fc81a00.jpg

this is a new color scheme for me... stolen from scott howells flies

62c5d0b0.jpg

Most excellent stuff! I have a question as i have *just* started tying intruder style flies, i am having trouble getting the rhea or ostrich to stick out/ up like that even if i put a ball of dubbing and a hackle there as a 'base' am i supposed to soak the rhea or ostrich and split it? Like in those burnt orange type colour ones. I guess i have to stick with it and figure it out, also that pink/ black one in the background looks the business too!

My opinion...

I would say materials are your issue...Hackle is not the best under wing for keeping a fly open.

Here are some materials I use

Polar bear (pictured in the orange fly)- spun in a loop

arctic fox tail - spun in a loop

arctic fox- tied in reverse

make sure your loops are well picked and brushed out... i use a bodkin and a wire dubbing brush

i can take a few picture if it will make more sense

Kevin, Those are wonderful! I've become very intrigued with Intruder type flies! I've never fished for Steelhead or Salmon, and likely never will get the opportunity, but I really like the way they look, and have fished them a few times for bass! So far the ones I've used were purchased, but I intend on tying some too!

BTW, I've browsed thru & bookmarked both your website & blog! Very well done on both! :D

thanks!

i think yak hair spun is a loop can be an efftive P-bear substitue

tide- i think this style of fly has amazing movement and could be effective across species

those were a mix of tubes (HMH micro, 35mm waddington shanks, and clipped salmon hooks)

Beautiful flies Kevin! Do you think it would be difficult to transfer your patterns to hooks rather than tubes? I'm not positive tubes are legal or effective in Nova Scotia, but your color schemes look like they would work... at least according to what the local salmon maestros are telling me...sure wish we had steelhead around here... :unsure:

Murray

My opinion...

I would say materials are your issue...Hackle is not the best under wing for keeping a fly open.

Here are some materials I use

Polar bear (pictured in the orange fly)- spun in a loop

arctic fox tail - spun in a loop

arctic fox- tied in reverse

make sure your loops are well picked and brushed out... i use a bodkin and a wire dubbing brush

i can take a few picture if it will make more sense

Thanks for that, i think one important factor i was not taking into consideration was the size of the dubbing ball, it has to be quite large and you are right, really tease it out, i used a bodkin and a piece of velcro which seemed to work just like you said. Now my intruders look like intruders! Only issue i am having now is that i think i am tying them too sparse, when wet they do look a bit skinny, so i guess i just have to load up on more material in the tie. But very happy with how they are going now, thankyou for your help and the images.

Only issue i am having now is that i think i am tying them too sparse, when wet they do look a bit skinny, so i guess i just have to load up on more material in the tie. But very happy with how they are going now, thankyou for your help and the images.

FFJ,

Remember that a fly that is wet out of water is not the same as a fly that is actually in the water. I bet your intruders are just right by the sound of it. Too much bulk and it will hinder the movement of the other materials. Good luck this season!!

FFJ,

Remember that a fly that is wet out of water is not the same as a fly that is actually in the water. I bet your intruders are just right by the sound of it. Too much bulk and it will hinder the movement of the other materials. Good luck this season!!

Out of the water while wet they look all slicked back like some sort of discotronic egg sucking leech, in a cup of water or a tub they have a translucency from the dubbing materials, yet the flash and rhea/ ostrich almost 'breathes'. I have seen a few 'pulse' in the current before and like these from KHoss, what a deadly fly to be swung! Colour seems important with the tie, possibilities seem endless...I think this looks almost like a jig we used over deep reef structure in the salt, which should be adapted, even salt if tied with wire you could do endless articulated baitfish patterns, just use a white belly.

geees Kevin....that head is freaking huge on that spey hook one....LOL!!!! You just made my day, because there is something in that photo that just tripped a trigger in my head for a fly that I've been struggling with conceptually.....AMEN.....now I gotta get home and apply it! Thanks buddy! Great stuff as always.